WAY TOO SLOW

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

This morning there was a brief network outage at the Space Sciences Laboratory for maintenance. That was the cause of the early morning problems.

The other problem does not appear to be with the Stardust@home server. The webpages are loading quickly, but the movie images are loading slowly. This indicates a problem with the Amazon.com service. We have done some checking and it looks like a middle network provider has been having some problems. There's not too much we can do here about this, except to let amazon know about it, which we are doing.

Thanks for your patience.
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

Alessandro Freda

Post by Alessandro Freda »

bmendez wrote: The webpages are loading quickly, but the movie images are loading slowly. This indicates a problem with the Amazon.com service. We have done some checking and it looks like a middle network provider has been having some problems. There's not too much we can do here about this, except to let amazon know about it, which we are doing.
I can confirm that now the movie images DL is alternately slow and fast, with a period of some minutes. From netlimiter I can see that during the slow periods the bandwidth looks like limited to 4k dl and 0,5 k up.

Is it possible that a clever developer cause this problem running not one, but many parallel robots like the CerealKiller one ?

Regards

Alessandro
Last edited by Alessandro Freda on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lollia

Post by Lollia »

Well, the site has become definitely slow: this morining I cannot connect to the Virtual Microscope :cry:
Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
(The way is long if one follows the precepts, but short and effective if one follows patterns)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Epistulae Morales - Liber I

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Lollia wrote:Well, the site has become definitely slow: this morining I cannot connect to the Virtual Microscope :cry:
Boy oh boy. If it's not one thing it's another.

We talked to Amazon yesterday and they are working to fix their network problems within a week things should be back up to speed.

Our webserver just hiccupped and froze. It was rebooted and all appears to be working again.

Sorry about that folks.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

ERSTRS

slow loading CM

Post by ERSTRS »

Today, Nov. 3, 2006, the StarDust site was down all morning. I tried with three browsers to access it without success. This afternoon the site is up and running, but it is taking 5 minutes to load the CM. It usually takes one minute or less---and I've been testing since Aug. 11, so I am comparing the long load time with that. What is the problem?
Evelyn R. Smith
Evelyn

marymouse

Javascript Error is Back

Post by marymouse »

Last 2 days. I cleared the temp files and refreshed. Still happening. Maybe it's part of the other problems they've had and maybe i'll wait till tomorrow to dust.

Lamperti

Slow servers

Post by Lamperti »

Maybe the solution is to temporarily stop the entire program until amazon servers are known to catch up. We are volunteers who have other things to do other than watch "indetermitely" for a movie to load or not even that! :(

Howie

Site gowing Poopy again

Post by Howie »

at 4:40 pm est..................

Just about stopped for me???

How about you???

Howie

Howie

Site going down again...

Post by Howie »

Hello All,

Site just about stopped at 4:40 pm est...

Slap them servers on the wrist, OK, Ha Ha...

cuple thousand new participants should not throw them off!!!

How about you or just me???

Howie

skeeter

Post by skeeter »

Zippin right along. No problems except those Java errors.

fjgiie
DustMod

speed of VM

Post by fjgiie »

Right now it is OK, but every few minutes it seems to almost stop for a few minutes.
Also skeeter is right about those Javascript errors - plentiful. :D

fjgiie (is this clock wrong?)

tim_yoda

Post by tim_yoda »

No problems here, Howie.
Saaaame Bat-time; Same bat-channel.

Howie

fjgiie is right...

Post by Howie »

After the speed came back 15 min. later The Jave went berserk???

Howie

elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Down again? Groan. Movies come to a dead stop, don't finish loading, or don't start at all. Managed to view 2. 7:22 p.m. EST.

Last few days Javascript errors about 20-30% of time.

spincrus

Post by spincrus »

Well Howie, technically speaking, it might be the routers your internet connection goes through. The best thing you can do is reconnect/reset-modem and try again.

That's what I do.

I'm sometimes having trouble reaching the site, too. It's probably because of the high bandwidth usage.

With me, what happens the most is, that the page loads fully (not from cache by the way), but the movies don't load for about 2 minutes. When I refresh (once or twice), the movie starts to load.

I think (but I'm not sure how the servers are set up) it's because the server the site is on has lower bandwith usage, and the movie server itself is getting clogged at times.

It's natural, though.
spincrus est imperare orbi universo!
spincrus erit in orbe ultima!
spincrus invictus...