Is there an incompatibility with FireFox2?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

pepperammi

Is there an incompatibility with FireFox2?

Post by pepperammi »

Hi
Is there an incompatibility with firefox2 and the clicking to report a possible track?
I've only just started giving Firefox a try and just had a calibration movie with a track and when I clicked on it to say one was there it went straight on to the next movie and I got a calibration movie wrong... didn't even come up with the question are you sure yu meant to say theres something there when I clicked.

[EDIT] I know of a Add-on that would allow me to specify this site to always load in a IE tab within Firefox but probably easier just to load it in IE.
I still don't know thought if its an incompatibility with Firefox2. If so either/both Firefox and the site developers here may need to look at it?

[EDIT] Just tried going back to IE and its working fine :? . Looks like a slight incombatability with firefox on this. :(

Doesn't recongnise the clicking on the movie as reporting a track it seems, Tried it again in firefox too. Or maybe its the newer popup blocking built in Firefox2?
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

On Firefox there is no pop-up box, it seems the function used to generate the box is not supported.
I work with Ff 1.5.0.7 and processed over 8000 real and 3000 calib. movies with it. A click on the movie registers as it should and the next movie shows up ready to be scanned.
Just dusting... Image
pepperammi

Post by pepperammi »

It's the latest Firefox 2 I've got. It didn't register as it should when I clicked. It was one of those obvious calibration movies with a track. Clicked on it but when next page loaded I had one more calibration movie wrong. Bit annoying but more important is that it doesn't work :cry: . I sent one of the broken site report forms from within Firefox.
For now I've got one of the IE view/tab add-ons to help fix it. :?
maria

There is no problem with Firefox 2

Post by maria »

Hi,

I have been using Firefox from the start (3 months) and now I'm using Firefox 2 and all works just fine! It's true that the pop-up doesn't ever appear (but I like it... one click less) but there is no other problem...

I'm not sure what's the problem that pepperammi has, but it's not a general problem with Firefox or Firefox 2...
I think he/she just clicked twice waiting for the pop-up and since there is no pop-up he/she gave wrong answer to the next movie without even see what that movie was!
pepperammi

Post by pepperammi »

No it was immediate. Didn't need to click twice :?
I'll give it another go.

[EDIT] Darn it. no it just happened again. looked to be working fine at first. Answered the first one fine but few seconds later got to another and it again answered it it incorrectly.

Maybe add-on are the prob? At the mo i got these installed. gtranslator, another translator, show IP, Adblock plus, British dictionary, mini menu, extensions backup, ctrl tab previews, fire ftp, pdf downloader, save image in, ageing tabs, broadband test, download status bar, map+, street map, video download, forecast, dictionary search, IE tabs.
Don't see how any of them would cause it though.

Shame I can't trust it. Seemed faster at downloading the movies.
Tom_Gutman

Re: Is there an incompatibility with FireFox2?

Post by Tom_Gutman »

pepperammi wrote:...
Firefox does not support the confirmation box. That does not affect the operation, other than you have no way to recover from an inadvertant click.

What happens when you run through the test (by not logging on you can take the test as often as you want)? That will bring up a lot more calibration movies than waiting for them to appear at random.

If you right click on the image and select properties, what is shown for the size? It should be 500x375. If not, you have something in your system that is resizing the pictures, and that will result in incorrect coordinates.

You can also check the coordinates directly. Click on the lower right hand corner of the image. Then scroll the resulting URL all the way to the right to see the coordinates at the end of the URL They should be 499,374, or fairly close to that. If significantly different, you have a problem.
Tom Gutman
pepperammi

Re: Is there an incompatibility with FireFox2?

Post by pepperammi »

Tom_Gutman wrote:
pepperammi wrote:...
Firefox does not support the confirmation box. That does not affect the operation, other than you have no way to recover from an inadvertant click.

What happens when you run through the test (by not logging on you can take the test as often as you want)? That will bring up a lot more calibration movies than waiting for them to appear at random.

If you right click on the image and select properties, what is shown for the size? It should be 500x375. If not, you have something in your system that is resizing the pictures, and that will result in incorrect coordinates.

You can also check the coordinates directly. Click on the lower right hand corner of the image. Then scroll the resulting URL all the way to the right to see the coordinates at the end of the URL They should be 499,374, or fairly close to that. If significantly different, you have a problem.
Thanks for that. Had a go thought the tutorial and it all went fine. Cord appeared fine to. Why its not worked properly on my the last two times I have no idea. As you all point out it should have and appears there is no incomparability that affects everybody so there must be something about this install. Will try reinstalling when I get the time. Will probably still use a plug-in to force it to load in an IE window to be sure. Difficult to trust when its failed me twice. Oh well

I only had 2 incorrect for ages and now I have 4 :cry:

Out of interest. Why doesn't it support the confirmation dialogue box? I imagine on this site its something that would be useful to have the option whether to have it or not
Neorapsta

Post by Neorapsta »

Something to do with the javascript that calls it up and firefox doesn't like it.
nax

Post by nax »

I've been having a lot of calibration movies that have really obvious tracks in them that apparently the site says don't have tracks. I started saving pics after it killed my score. I had none wrong for the first twenty calibration movies and now whenever I see something that looks like a track I know it will kill my score. The other people I show them to say they look like tracks as well. I save the movie IDs but I've yet to find a way that pulls up the movie I watched by ID (every time I try it pulls up something that looks nothing like the saved images).

Not to be a jerk, but perhaps this is not a flaw with your browser.
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

nax wrote:I've been having a lot of calibration movies that have really obvious tracks in them that apparently the site says don't have tracks. I started saving pics after it killed my score. I had none wrong for the first twenty calibration movies and now whenever I see something that looks like a track I know it will kill my score. The other people I show them to say they look like tracks as well. I save the movie IDs but I've yet to find a way that pulls up the movie I watched by ID (every time I try it pulls up something that looks nothing like the saved images).

Not to be a jerk, but perhaps this is not a flaw with your browser.
Saving a picture is not of much use. Tracks are distinguished not by their appearance on any particular picture but by their behaviour as the focus changes. Movie IDs are of limited use with calibration movies. The team has some method of getting to the calibration movie with a particular ID, but the rest of us don't. Using the ID in a view URL just brings up the real movie with the same ID.

What you can usefully post is the URL for the calibration movie. You can copy and paste that from the address bar.

There is one (possibly more) calibration movie that is a bit tricky. It has an inclusion that is fairly deep. The inclusion does not come into focus until well below the surface. But you can still move down a bit and see that the inclusion is going out of focus. A track will not do that. Once in focus, it will remain in focus down to the bottom of the movie.
Tom Gutman