clipped focus

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

katkolling

clipped focus

Post by katkolling »

Suddenly the focus gizmo became clipped. It stayed that way when I hit refresh. Logging in and out fixed it. Just a bizarre item. I put a printscreen at:

http://members.cox.net/katkolling/clipped.JPG
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi Katkolling!

How weird!

-Did this happen on every movie you looked at before you logged back in, or did it happen on just one?
-Do you happen to remember the movie number(s) affected?
-Next time it happens, you might get the movie number. You may also want to click "Bad focus" and see if it happens to the next movie.

That would be great information for the Stardust team to work with.

Good luck!
Nikita
From dust we come
katkolling

Post by katkolling »

It happened on one, I hit refresh and got a different movie number and it was that way also. I believe one of the movie numbers is visible on the print screen. My gut feeling is it has nothing to do with the movie, however.

(Didn't there used to be a go to next movie button? Or did my fevered imagination make that up - anyway, without it, I didn't want to mark the movie I was looking at as track or bad focus since I had no idea what it really was, so all I could do was refresh.)
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

What exactly is the matter in the posted picture? The reduced number of focus bars?

This happens to me all the time. Just thought that happened to everyone once in a while so i didn't mention it before.
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

It's happened to me a couple of times - the top half of the focus bars goes away. It did make me a little nervous that it might affect the movie so I logged out and logged back on.
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

Nikita wrote:Hi Katkolling!

-Next time it happens, you might get the movie number.
i wrote up some of the movie IDs with reduced focus bars which
i've come across during the last hour or so.

The most extreme example is

8965854V1

but pretty often i encounter more acceptable examples like

7538887V1
9721136V1
2181855V1
9154462V1
katkolling

Post by katkolling »

Okay, seeing that, I retract my theory that it has nothing to do with the particular movie.

Maybe we should be marking these bad focus. If most people are skipping them by logging out and in or refreshing, the project may erroneously think they are being looked at.
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

katkolling wrote:Okay, seeing that, I retract my theory that it has nothing to do with the particular movie.

Maybe we should be marking these bad focus. If most people are skipping them by logging out and in or refreshing, the project may erroneously think they are being looked at.
I disagree with doing it in general for two main reasons:

If the surface comes into focus near the top of the focus bars we should still be able to focus down sufficiently deep, depending of course on the number of focus bars present in the particular movie.

Secondly, the far majority of the movies i encounter has at least 2 or 4 bars missing. Marking all these as "bad focus" would make the whole project obsolete.

If however there are so few focus bars that one cannot focus at least 12 bars or so below the surface then the advice from the S@H team is to click "bad focus" no matter whether all the focus bars are present or not.

That seems to be the general rule: if you can focus down well below the surface, everything is ok. If you can't then click "bad focus". This rule of thumb can be easily applied here as well.
katkolling

Post by katkolling »

That sounds reasonable.

I wonder why you are seeing so many movies with focus bars missing and I went through several hundred before I stumbled on one.....
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Katkolling,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. On my computer, the bars on the picture didn't look like there were only some missing on the top and bottom, but the middle ones looked like there were varying degrees of thickness and I also misinterpreted when you described it as being clipped.

Lpspieler,
Thanks for understanding and a helpful answer!

Happy dusting to you all!
Nikita
From dust we come
Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

I have gotten many of these "reduced" focus bars. I think it's just the imaging process that those certain areas of the aerogel went through. There were probably just less frames taken for that sample for whatever reason. I don't think it has to do with any browser problems if you were wondering.

-Schlockading
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

Schlockading wrote:I think it's just the imaging process that those certain areas of the aerogel went through.
-Schlockading
I faintly remember a thread where someone of the dustmods explained that it had something to do with the way the automated microscope works. But i can't find it at the moment.