problem loading movies

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Klemek

problem loading movies

Post by Klemek »

Sometimes, when new movie starts to load the next movie buffer is already full(at least that's what the bottom progress bar shows). I noticed this yesterday. I'm pretty sure, that this issue didn't occure before. Have anyone else also noticed this? Is there anything to be worried about?
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Nothing to worry about, The two movies should be independent of each other.
Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

I would only think this a sign of a fast internet connection! :lol: Nothing to worry about, although personally I have not seen this happen. Usually the first bar fills up all the way and then the second afterwards. It could just be the display that's slightly delayed or something. Still, it's nothing to be concerned about.

-Schlockading
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

My connection does the same thing. In fact, sometimes, the current movie buffers about 95%, then stops and the next movie fully buffers before it completes. All I can do is wait for it to load both before I can do anything. I'm sure that if I made some adjustments I could fix it, but I have decided that we have had enough computer trouble so I leave it alone and just open two windows and switch back and forth while they load. If you do this, just don't get rushed thinking that the other movie is waiting for you. It will wait.

I hope that helps! :D
fjgiie
DustMod

Redux

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Kelmek,
Kelmek wrote:Sometimes, when new movie starts to load the next movie buffer is already full
You have already seen the next movie and it is still in memory.
Klemek

Post by Klemek »

Thanks for answers guys.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Nikita wrote:My connection does the same thing. In fact, sometimes, the current movie buffers about 95%, then stops and the next movie fully buffers before it completes. All I can do is wait for it to load both before I can do anything. I'm sure that if I made some adjustments I could fix it, but I have decided that we have had enough computer trouble so I leave it alone and just open two windows and switch back and forth while they load. If you do this, just don't get rushed thinking that the other movie is waiting for you. It will wait.

I hope that helps! :D

Hi Nikita. Sorry to be so long...just noticed this post. I was having the same problem with the first movie not loading fully until the next movie had finished loading. I found if I keep my cursor off the focus bars until the first one is done, it does load completely before going on to the second. (Hard to do when you're anxious to start looking!)
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Elaine,

My husband jusy got a laptop through work. He set up a wireless router and was showing me the system. Of couse, I went to Stardusting! I found that on his computer, I was able to view the movie while it was loading! So I think it was something with our main computer set up! Also, I haven't found that it loads better for me when I keep off the focus bars. Guess it just goes to show how individual systems make a difference. It still hasn't been enough of an issue for me to make any adjustments. Flipping back and forth works good enough for me.
Thanks for your info. I have already forwarned my husband that the laptop is fair game when he is not using it to be used for dusting! I didn't hear his reply, but I think it was something about "What have I done?!?" :D
From dust we come
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Hi Nikita. Oh well, I tried! You're right, every system is different. Now if I could just get mine to load a little faster....! We only have the one computer. My husband gets it for about 10 minutes a day, LOL.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

elainekeefe wrote:I found if I keep my cursor off the focus bars until the first one is done, it does load completely before going on to the second. (Hard to do when you're anxious to start looking!)
My experience has been that it's browser-dependent.

In Microsoft's IE, loading of the first movie is interrupted and you have to wait till the second then fully loads (as you describe) only if you impatiently cross the as-yet unloaded lower focus bars.

But this doesn't actually happen in Netscape/Mozilla Firefox, so you don't have to wait as long - a real advantage (also in IE, for some bizarre reason the loading bar spreads out from the centre, while in N/M it fills up from left-to-right in the conventional manner). :roll:
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Yep! I'm using IE. That explains it. Knew someone would have a reason.

Thanks Jsmaje! :D
From dust we come
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

jsmaje: you're right, that's exactly what I have, MS IE, LOL. I have to say, though in general my computer is pretty fast (DSL), those movies take FOREVER to download! (A good 8-10 seconds each.) I am not computer savvy at all. Can a different browser be used, or are you stuck with what you have?
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Sure you can use a different browser.. Try Firefox..

Get it here..

http://www.mozilla.com/

Small.... fast.... works....
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Mighty Pete wrote:Sure you can use a different browser.. Try Firefox..

Get it here..

http://www.mozilla.com/

Small.... fast.... works....
Thank you so much for your help! Just loaded Firefox and MUCH faster! Have to get used to having no extra window to click when clicking on a track though. No changing your mind on this one! LOL
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Download time also depends on your ISP, their provision/speed of broadband (forget dial-up!), and your distance from their local server (FO/cables leak, needing boosters, introducing some delay). I'm with BT, max 8Mbps, working currently at 7.6Mbps. Even then, however fast they can deliver, I've not noticed much improvement over my previous 2Mbps. I guess the ultimate bottleneck is with Berkeley's servers and capacity to deal with the demand: don't forget there's now nearly 16,000 of us fighting for attention!