Focus Problems. No images/No surface/Not enough focus

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

stefal

Focus Problems. No images/No surface/Not enough focus

Post by stefal »

Hi

I've just started on my quest to find a particle :)

I've seen a few slides that appear to be blank. I just wondered if I should treat them as blank or mark them as bad focus. I don't know if it's common for slides to have nothing on them.

Thanks and good luck everyone :)

Steve
Is there anybody out there? I hope so :)
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

Welcome to SD@H, Steve!

Some of the movies people have been encountering have had very little visual clues as to whether or not there is a surface in the movie. In cases like these, it is best to err on the side of caution by clicking Bad Focus.

Hope this helps, and welcome again! :)
Join us on the Unofficial IRC channel!
irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home
stefal

Post by stefal »

Hi Zsinj

Thanks for the welcome and info. I thought that might be the case so thought I'd check.

Cheers

Steve
Is there anybody out there? I hope so :)
gstrike

Bad Focus Question

Post by gstrike »

Man, I have found that this is very addictive!

Here's my question: I was wondering, Should we mark the VMs where the surface of the aerogel doesn't come into focus until the VM is focused down as low as it goes. I would think so as it is impossible to focus below the surface where the tracks would be.

Thanks team and keep up the great work!

Greg
BenTrem

Re: Bad Focus Question

Post by BenTrem »

gstrike wrote:Should we mark the VMs where the surface of the aerogel doesn't come into focus until the VM is focused down as low as it goes. I would think so as it is impossible to focus below the surface where the tracks would be.
This is the 3rd thread I've seen with this question. (I replied in full agreement to another one.)

Perhaps Staff could settle this.

My take on it: we don't need a lot of range above surface, but could easily miss the track's ring if we don't have enough range below. When I can only get just barely under the surface, should I tag it Bad Focus?
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
endust

Limited down focus

Post by endust »

I've run into the same problem.

In the instructions they say that if you have limited down range call it a bad focus.

Until we get a ruling from the Stardust team, Ive decided to mark anything with less than 20% downside focus as bad.
Doug

We need objective guidance on when to mark Bad Focus

Post by Doug »

I have been marking Bad Focus when the surface dust is lower than the bottom 25% mark (10 lines up) on the grounds that we can't see a dust particle that is very far below the surface. We really need some objective guidance from Staff on such a rule.
wmilberry

Post by wmilberry »

I agree, I've seen a lot where most of the focus range was above the surface and I simply couldn't go down far enough to feel confident about saying "no tracks"

I have marked a number of "bad movies" because of this. usually they hit the surface in the last 25%.
endust

bad focus

Post by endust »

I'll join the consensus at 25%. Better safe than sorry
BenTrem

Re: Limited down focus

Post by BenTrem »

endust wrote:In the instructions they say that if you have limited down range call it a bad focus.
Really? I wish you had quoted; I've gone through the tutorial a third time looking and found no such. Email from a mod last night pointed to two pages, one of them "no focus" and another very slanted ... but even the mod couldn't point to such text. Point is: I've been trying to signal that as a lacuna.

FWIW since a track's dark ring is well below the surface, if we can't get that low then we won't see that sign, so ...

Seems like folk have been erring on the side of false "Bad Focus" rather than false negative ... makes sense to me!
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
king

Post by king »

How will you deal with those slides? I can't imagine you're willing to blow talcum powder on your aerogel :-)
Shamgar

Post by Shamgar »

Thanks for answering my question before I could even ask it. =)

I would also say that you saved me a post... but, alas...I just posted, thus negating the point of such a statement. O_o

Oh well... :roll:
zioriga

Problem with the display of the VW Focus Up and down

Post by zioriga »

With the movie #33918B I have a problem with the display of the Virtual Microscope Focus Up and Down.
It behave differently from the other movies: there are only orizontal lines in the middle of the range, not on the left side of the Focus up and down arrows. And the focusing seems no working
cal

Post by cal »

Hi :)

Excellent project and I'm really enjoying it :D

I've had the same problem with movie number 19742A,

Thanks,

Cal 8)

EDIT: just found another one 27410B, thanks :)
albutterworth
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by albutterworth »

Hi

This is a problem where the movie seems to have very few frames.

The VM is functioning correctly. The problem was caused in processing the focus movie.

The answer is to click Bad Focus.

Thanks
Anna
Stardust@home
Useful Links: | Aerogel Scanning Progress | Forum Rules |