Pre-Load 5 or 10 movies

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

philwalsh

Pre-Load 5 or 10 movies

Post by philwalsh »

Currently 2 movies get loaded into memory, current movie and the next movie. I would love to see , Instead of the next 1 movie, load the next 5 or 10 movies. I dont like waiting for movies to load.

rusm

Post by rusm »

I like this idea. Two movies in cache are not enough.
Periodically Stardust servers are too slow for me (from Russia, some times I have ~200Kbps instead of normal 1Mbps), and after quick click on calibration, I wait, wait, wait, and… see another calibration :twisted:

cldrjones2

Post by cldrjones2 »

I totaly agree

fjgiie
DustMod

Slow loading

Post by fjgiie »

For slow Loading -

Let me place this message here before the mods lock this suggestion.

1. Log in to the VM as normal.

2. Open another internet window and log in with this second window to the VM.

3. Use one on rigit side of screen, one on left, you may need to click on page to switch between pages.

4. This will give you four (4) focus movies loading at once.

5. Be very careful not to get in a big rush, take your time viewing movies after they load.

Just an idea some have talked about on this forum.
and my two dollars worth.

fjgiie

ToSeek

Re: Slow loading

Post by ToSeek »

fjgiie wrote:For slow Loading -

Let me place this message here before the mods lock this suggestion.

1. Log in to the VM as normal.

2. Open another internet window and log in with this second window to the VM.

3. Use one on rigit side of screen, one on left, you may need to click on page to switch between pages.

4. This will give you four (4) focus movies loading at once.

5. Be very careful not to get in a big rush, take your time viewing movies after they load.

Just an idea some have talked about on this forum.
and my two dollars worth.

fjgiie
I tried that, but if I click on the movie in window A before the movie in window B has loaded, it complains and says my response to window B won't be counted. So having two windows doesn't speed me up any if I still have to wait for the movie to load before I can do anything.
If you're going to be just like everyone else, what's the point in existing?

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Just an observation, but I have to wonder;
Wouldn't loading movies be the same no matter how many you pre-loaded?
Right now, 2 movies are pre-loaded into the buffer the first time you log onto the VM: when you click to the next movie, only 1 additional movie pre-loads into the buffer to replace it, right? So even if you pre-loaded 5 or 10 movies initially, wouldn't you experience the same time lags when one movie is dismmissed and replaced with another? If so, pre-loading more images in the buffer would only serve to rob the user of resources and not produce the desired increase.

I this not how it works?

*EDIT - oh, and this should be continued in the Suggestions thread. This topic has been posted before also.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!

batfly.geo

Why is anyone in a rush?

Post by batfly.geo »

I fail to understand what the rush is. This isn’t a video game is it? If you take at least 10 seconds, (should be more like 20 to 30 seconds at least depending on the slide could be a minute or two) that is more than enough time for the next slide to load.

I think the current system works just fine.

The only complaint I have with the system is the calibration photos are pretty obvious when they appear. You can see the pixilated squares in the calibrations.

This gives away the fact that you have to look out for a track. The missing track calibrations are pretty good though. Plus there seems to be too many blurry photos funky ones…

As well the real slides all have a little circle on the top right that does not change as you focus. This is a good indication that it is a real slide.

I found some slides that look like stuff (not tracks but likenesses)…

2422507V1 - Looks like a Cowboy Hat
3975923V1 - Submarine
7367200V1 – Asteroids (Like the old arcade game)
7852037V1 - Crater on Mars
3317753V1 - Frog
5711317V1 - ET
Without a vision the dying process begins

DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Why is anyone in a rush?

Post by DustBuster »

Hi batfly.geo

I think users that are on slower connections are trying to find a way to speed up loading times (the 40 +/- frames + page and graphics)... dial-up must take some patience. I was just speculating as to how the images were laoded and asking if someone else knew more about it.

As for the calibration movies- there are no real specimens to work with yet- but just because they are obvious does not mean they aren't doing their job.

And the 'spots' to which you are referrering are dust on the lens; there are a total of 4 that have shown up so far. If you browse around the forum, you will find many posts regarding "Larry, Moe, Curly and/or Shemp".

Happy dusting!

rusm

Post by rusm »

DustBuster wrote:Just an observation, but I have to wonder;
Wouldn't loading movies be the same no matter how many you pre-loaded?
Right now, 2 movies are pre-loaded into the buffer the first time you log onto the VM: when you click to the next movie, only 1 additional movie pre-loads into the buffer to replace it, right? So even if you pre-loaded 5 or 10 movies initially, wouldn't you experience the same time lags when one movie is dismmissed and replaced with another? If so, pre-loading more images in the buffer would only serve to rob the user of resources and not produce the desired increase.
I do not agree. Would be so if we spent identical time for each movie. But this time a different and at the increased buffer raises chance of arrival of a normal movie demanding time for meditations. For this time the buffer is filled again.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

batfly.geo wrote:I fail to understand what the rush is. This isn’t a video game is it? If you take at least 10 seconds, (should be more like 20 to 30 seconds at least depending on the slide could be a minute or two) that is more than enough time for the next slide to load.
Unfortunately, I share in the same situation of some people that I cannot scroll down into a movie until both images are loaded. So I have to wait until both are in, look at the movie, make a response, then wait again for the next image to load again and the new image to load behind. I have cable connection. However, in the other threads, there are discussions on changing settings that may help. I have not tried that, but I have had some success with two screens at once.
From dust we come

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

rusm wrote: I do not agree. Would be so if we spent identical time for each movie. But this time a different and at the increased buffer raises chance of arrival of a normal movie demanding time for meditations. For this time the buffer is filled again.
It might be because I am not having the problems others report. I have a cable connection and the only lag I get is while the background movie is loaded, the VM focus is jumpy until it is done- so to me, any additional loading of movies wuold make matters worse.
Last edited by DustBuster on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToSeek

Post by ToSeek »

batfly.geo wrote:I fail to understand what the rush is. This isn’t a video game is it? If you take at least 10 seconds, (should be more like 20 to 30 seconds at least depending on the slide could be a minute or two) that is more than enough time for the next slide to load.
Plenty of movies are either out-of-focus or so featureless that it's possible for me to dismiss them in just a few seconds.

Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

I cannot scroll down into a movie until both images are loaded.
Don't use IE. It's only a oddity with that program. On every web page not just this one.

zioriga

Post by zioriga »

I also agree with the request for more buffered movies for this reason:
It is reallly boring to wait for the new movie, it seems to loose time!
With more buffered movies people can , from time to time, go away to do something else for , let me say, 5 or 10 minutes (may be also to distress himself) and to be ready for the next 5 or 10 movies, or more, in a acceptable speed.
Thanks

ToSeek

Post by ToSeek »

I'd settle for one more buffered movie (two instead of one). That would be enough to speed the flow for me 90% of the time or more.