Flickering web page

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

rhounsell

Flickering web page

Post by rhounsell »

Hi,

Pretty sure this isn't limited to the Startdust VM, but I thought it would be a good example of the problem.

The problem I'm experiencing is a terrible flickering of the movie area and other graphics (e.g. the focus control) whenever the VM web page is updated: (for example, whenever the download progress bars are refreshed, or whenever I change the focus of the movie). The images on the page are being refreshed at a slow enough rate that I can see white areas very quickly being drawn and then being overdrawn by the final image. It makes the web page very hard on the eyes.

Any ideas? I'm using a GeForce 4 video card, and my monitor is set up at 75hz refresh rate, TrueColor, and 1280x768 resolution, although fiddling with these variables doesn't change the flickering at all.

regards,
Rb
icebike

Re: Flickering web page

Post by icebike »

rhounsell wrote:Hi,

Pretty sure this isn't limited to the Startdust VM, but I thought it would be a good example of the problem.

The problem I'm experiencing is a terrible flickering of the movie area and other graphics (e.g. the focus control) whenever the VM web page is updated: (for example, whenever the download progress bars are refreshed, or whenever I change the focus of the movie). The images on the page are being refreshed at a slow enough rate that I can see white areas very quickly being drawn and then being overdrawn by the final image. It makes the web page very hard on the eyes.

Any ideas? I'm using a GeForce 4 video card, and my monitor is set up at 75hz refresh rate, TrueColor, and 1280x768 resolution, although fiddling with these variables doesn't change the flickering at all.

regards,
Rb
You are trying to view the image before it is fully downloaded.
The lower frames come last.

Is it possible your internet connection is not keeping up, or your processor is very busy?
rhounsell

Post by rhounsell »

It could be the internet connection I suppose (I have a cable modem), but I'm thinking it's more graphics-related (but I don't know what to do about it).

To be clear: the movie flickers whenever I change the focus: it's already been fully downloaded.

The movie and othe objects also flicker whenever either of the movie download progress bars near the top are updated.

Also, I'm using IE6 on W2000.

regards
Rob
icebike

Post by icebike »

rhounsell wrote:

Also, I'm using IE6 on W2000.

Rob
Run away from IE6 like your hair is on fire.

Try firefox or just about anything else.

It would be interesting to see what your CPU load is while viewing movies.
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

This is no general issue, so i am afraid that it is indeed related to some local setting or combination of programs you are using.
It's trial and error for you... :cry:
Just dusting... Image
LeeRyder

Post by LeeRyder »

I get it sometimes too. roughly 50-60% of the time.

System:

P4 1.6
Windows Vista Build 5384
IE7.2
Cable Modem
GForce 5200FX 128
512 RDRam

FireFox is such a piece of junk! Compairing FF to IE is like Comparing A hyundai to a Mercedes.
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's part of life, and no one gets out alive.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

icebike wrote: Run away from IE6 like your hair is on fire.
I use IE6 flawlessly. If it isn't a setting there may be a conflict with another piece of software (as Wolter stated) or you mave have a piece of spyware or related p.o.s. that is causing the problem.
The PC I am using is immaculate and fully up to date Win98se (the most reliable single user platform from Microsoft since DOS).
900Mhz
1Gb RAM
Cable ethernet
Only 3 icons in the tray (volume, CDR, sound environment).

It may be outdated, but StarDust@Home is about all it's used for and works like a champ! I've had NONE of the problems mentioned in the forums save the rare javascript loading error and that is always remedied with the 'reload page' button.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
rhounsell

Post by rhounsell »

:shock:

Tonight there's no flicker at all.

Since last night I've removed Google toolbar from my browser, but I can't say for sure that was the problem, as it's installed at work and I had no problem there (but it would have been different video hardware software at work...)

I'll repost if the problem reoccurs.

regards,
Rob
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Just before the project went live, I started having multiple problems with my screen flickering, then I got bizarre error messages that had nothing to do with the monitor or video card, or anything related to the problem, until my computer started shutting down and pouting! I'm not a computer expert and had no idea after checking out a few minor possibilities. We went into safe mode for a while until we cleaned up a few things, then discovered it was the video card. I don't know if yours is giving you the same fits mine did, but you might check into that. Good Luck!
From dust we come
rhounsell

Post by rhounsell »

What did you do to fix the problem? Updated video drivers? New video card? How were you able to tell it was the video card?

regards,
Rob
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

My husband's IT dept at work let him borrow a new card. As soon as he put it in, it worked. He went out and bought a new one and installed it and it worked fine. I don't remember what hardware it was, only that it worked. But he did say that when a video card goes bad, lots of funky things can happen. I thought it was the monitor or that the computer had a virus or something.
From dust we come