Variations in focus behavior

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

king

Variations in focus behavior

Post by king »

As I move up and down the focus tool, some movies defocus the surface dust more per step than others. This can happen in one of three ways [or a combination]:

1: The aperature and therefore the depth of field can be different on some movies than on others, or

2: The movie could be coded so each step in the focus tool corresponds to differing amounts of optics movement, or

3: I could be "all wet".

Which is it?

-dk
icebike

Re: Variations in focus behavior

Post by icebike »

king wrote:As I move up and down the focus tool, some movies defocus the surface dust more per step than others. This can happen in one of three ways [or a combination]:
-dk
Movies are supposed to be made up of 40 frames, but some times
you will see movies with short focus bars, which would seem to suggest
some don't have all 40 frames, and then its anybody's guess if there are 20 or 30 or whatever.

I suspect you are seeing movies where the number of frames vary, or the spacing of frames vary.

Spacing is supposed to be in 3micron steps, but who knows for sure.
ToSeek

Post by ToSeek »

I have the same impression, even with full-sized focus bars. I don't know if it's something real or just an optical illusion.
If you're going to be just like everyone else, what's the point in existing?
king

Post by king »

I see the phenomenon I described even on those movies where I see all the focus bars I'm entitled to.

-dk
icebike

Post by icebike »

king wrote:I see the phenomenon I described even on those movies where I see all the focus bars I'm entitled to.

-dk
Post a movie so we can all see what you are referring to.

Post it like this: simply changing the movie id number

Code: Select all

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/myevents_viewer.php?id=6796191V1