Is it 1.6 or 160 million pictures ?!

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Lyoha

Is it 1.6 or 160 million pictures ?!

Post by Lyoha »

I just thought it's going to be about 1.6 million pictures of all the surface of aerogel, right? Then every pictures is sent to 100 different people. So, my question is : in ranking we see the total real movies looked through, so in the end the sum of all movies looked through of all people is going to be 160 million, right? One more question - are there 1.6 million movies in the project or total amount of pictures (1 movie = 40 pictures) ?
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

I've been wondering that too... it feels like I'm looking at the same things over and over again. And I know for a fact that I've seen several of them more than once. One I know because it had the same exact pattern on it (it looks just like a whale)
Lyoha

Post by Lyoha »

- To geckzila :
Those same movies can be colaboration movies. And I dont think that project designers would make system send SAME movies to SAME people - that's just makes no sense!

- To ALL :
Anyway, I gonna keep searching, I made through only 100 movies and I pay much attention at each of them (I think that's why I have Specifity - 100% and Sencetivity - 100 %), I'd like to search more, but I don't have much time for that. All I know for sure - we're doing right participating in this project. All the mysteries have to be revealed! 8)
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Lyoha,

I have received the same movie multiple times. It if is random, there would be no stopping that. It does make sense though, in the sense that you'd be getting checked against yourself. Reliability.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

Lyoha wrote:- To geckzila :
Those same movies can be colaboration movies. And I dont think that project designers would make system send SAME movies to SAME people - that's just makes no sense!
It does make sense if it greatly simplifies the record keeping & storage requirements, and somewhat simplifies the PHP programming, though. As I rather suspect it would.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma
css94381672

Re: Is it 1.6 or 160 million pictures ?!

Post by css94381672 »

Lyoha wrote:I just thought it's going to be about 1.6 million pictures of all the surface of aerogel, right? Then every pictures is sent to 100 different people. So, my question is : in ranking we see the total real movies looked through, so in the end the sum of all movies looked through of all people is going to be 160 million, right? One more question - are there 1.6 million movies in the project or total amount of pictures (1 movie = 40 pictures) ?

"Because the view of the microscope is so small, we would have to move the microscope more than 1.6 million times to search the whole collector. In each field of view, you would focus up and down by hand to look for the tracks."

...so total amount of pictures is 1.6 milion · 40 = 64 milion.

"each movie will be sent out to four users, and only if at least two of them report a detection will it be considered a candidate. In that case, it will be sent out again to several more users, who will not know that it has already been flagged by others. If a majority of users in this "second round" also report detections, then professional scientists will observe the location to determine whether is does indeed contain an interstellar dust particle."
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

css94381672,

The information you quote is outdated (I hope you didn't find it on our site). To see our current methodology read the about pages on our website, especially page 2: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... home_2.php

As yet, there is no set amount of people that the movies will be seen by.

We initially estimated that there would be 1.6 million focus movies. But we are now using a camera in the automated microscope with a larger CCD, so there will actually be more like 700,000 movies in the end.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH