Calibration movies / Rankings

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Protostar

Calibration movies / Rankings

Post by Protostar »

Forgive me, I'm new to all of this but . . . after reading some postings I thought the calibration movies were "fake" movies just to keep us on our toes. The enjoyment and satisfaction, I thought, come from getting and reviewing the "real movies". So why should the former matter? Am I missing something?
Wishes, lies, and dreams all spring from the same well. Knowing when to drink requires only a little common sense.
icebike

Re: Calibration movies / Rankings

Post by icebike »

Protostar wrote:Forgive me, I'm new to all of this but . . . after reading some postings I thought the calibration movies were "fake" movies just to keep us on our toes.
They are what they claim to be. Movies to calibrate the equipment (your brains) to be optimally sensitive to the task at hand.
Protostar

Post by Protostar »

My question was really focusing on why others are so consumed with their ranking / calibrations. I thought the excitement would come from the number of "real movies" a person gets to view. . . Am I missing something?
Wishes, lies, and dreams all spring from the same well. Knowing when to drink requires only a little common sense.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Protostar wrote: I thought the excitement would come from the number of "real movies" a person gets to view. . . Am I missing something?
Yes.

You are missing the fact that that up to this point a VERY LARGE percentage of the participants were 14 years old, and viewed this as yet another video game to rush thru.

A human hair is 70 to 100 microns in diameter. Almost everything you see in these movies is smaller your hair is thick. Does that not count for anything?

I have no idea how many point I have.
Protostar

Post by Protostar »

AHH. . . for the first part. For the second part, this is in fact an exciting and unique task.