Calibration movies review!!!! NEEDED

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

BIGAL

Calibration movies review!!!! NEEDED

Post by BIGAL »

I know this has been talked about before. But Iam getting discouraged by getting calibration movies wrong and not knowing why? I have quit a couple of times but came back because its sooo addictive.
joecor99

Post by joecor99 »

I have to agree with you: I've gotten 4 wrong because there was supposed to be a track there, but I could see absolutely nothing that came CLOSE to looking like a track. Then, when I finally decided to click on another doubtful track, it turned out THAT one was supposed to be empty! :roll: This can get to be EXTREMELY frustrating.
That said, I agree with you: this is VERY addictive :)
And God said, Let there be light: And there was light.

Gen. 1:3
vibri2001

Post by vibri2001 »

I agree with the feedback on calibration movies. Maybe there could be another section like "My events" to show all your calibration movies you marked wrong.
Hermax

Post by Hermax »

I totally agree!
I also have 4 wrong answers on calibration tracks where there was absolutely NOTHING to see.
And if there was a track, I sure want to learn how to spot those.

Like this, it's discouraging. I want to learn from my mistakes, but I need feedback for that.
king

it would help if we got told where the track was, ...

Post by king »

whenever we fail a calibration movie that has a track.

-dk
drbuzz

learning from mistakes

Post by drbuzz »

If you can't learn from mistakes, you're sure to keep making the same ones. It would be wonderful to have some means of learning from incorrectly marked calibration movies. The simplest would be to have the movie presented right after incorrectly marking it. On the representation it should show what was marked (incorrectly) or what should have been marked. It that's not possible would it be possible to permit one to go back manually to the movie? If that's not possible, then showing mistaken movies in MY EVENTS would work, but would provide less instantaneous feedback (and therefore less useful to the learning process)

Thanks
Buzz
BIGAL

Post by BIGAL »

How about the team taking the top 10 missed calibration movies and putting them some place we could review them, with comments as to what's the correct response?
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I agree all, it can be frustrating. I have experienced this as well. Please don't let it discourage you from the true task at hand; looking for signs of particles embeded below the surface of the aerogel.
If there is any chance of resolving the problem, our best course is to write down the number of the FOV, take a screen shot (In Windows, hold down shift and press Print Screen, then open up Paint (or other paint program) and, in an new image, hold CNTL and press the 'V' key to paste it into the frame- then save it).
If we can give the team something to track down, we have a much better chance of getting it resolved.
Remember to tie that knot tight!
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

Dustbuster wrote:
If there is any chance of resolving the problem, our best course is to write down the number of the FOV, take a screen shot (In Windows, hold down shift and press Print Screen, then open up Paint (or other paint program) and, in an new image, hold CNTL and press the 'V' key to paste it into the frame- then save it).
Ok, here I go:
Movie 22534B

Not 100% sure there is no track in this movie (how could I :wink: ), but I really fail to see it.
the moon

Post by the moon »

Am I wrong or do all calibration movies have an ID less then 20,000? If so then 22534 isn't a calibration. Also calibration movies tend to be lit differently, they just have a different look. So my guess is 22534 is a real movie and there's a problem with sometimes getting marked wrong for no reason.

I know I've only been marked wrong once and it was when I clicked on an obvious track but got dinged in the "track exists but none clicked", which is impossible cause I did click.
Last edited by the moon on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

First, Hermax, some of the hits on the callibration movies are VERY small. And only show up in last few layers.

Second, themoon, some of the lighting issues you mention do show up in real movies. Same thing with the moire (banding) too.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
the moon

Post by the moon »

Nah not the calibration movies with tracks, they are very easy to spot even before you focus down to see the track. Some of the calibration movies that aren't supposed to have tracks do look like reals though, I wouldn't be surprised if they were reals that they already confirmed.

Also I looked at the full movie from lpspieler. There's no track in it. If it was a calibration movie and he got marked wrong on it then there is a bug.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Themoon, I'm just telling you what I've seen. SOME of the callibration movies aren't as obvious as most. I've seen... plenty. And trust my judgement. Take it how you will, just trying to help.
the moon

Post by the moon »

Dang it, it just happened again. 10494A, I clicked on the track then it marks me wrong for not clicking on the track. Stupid IE, it probably thinks I'm clicking on it again when I hit OK.

lol I've never had anyone tell me to trust their judgement and then to take it how I will. I was only telling you what I've seen.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Actually I was saying I trust my judgement. ;-) But I'd like to think you can too, if you'd like. ;-) There are few glitches in some movies too. 11706B has burned me four times.

I was just trying to warn against people developing bad habits. I'd love to see them throw in a bunch of callibration movies with IDs in the 50 000's. So all those people depending on the ID's would be toast. I ignore address bar... ID's... etc. Certainly I've grown used to some patterns (I've been callibrated over 1200 times) and can mark a movie, in some cases, before it is even loaded. But I would hate to see people developing bad habits for later.

They need to get more new material in. I calculated in another thread, earlier, that on average each movie will have been seen over five times. And with all the ranting and raving people are doing when they see what they think are tracks (getting back to their estimate of 1 in 40000 movies containing a track) it wouldn't surprise me if almost every movie has been flagged by someone by now.

I appreciate that they must be overwhelmed, but I fear bad habits and burn out, and frustration might reign supreme soon. Especially if people don't get some feedback on their efforts or on what we really should be seeing.