Calibration movies review!!!! NEEDED

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

icebike

Post by icebike »

I think you can review your own calibration movies with the BACK button.

I do NOT think its a good idea to be screen shoting and posting calibration movies.

Re-take the training if you want to tune up your skills.

Remember that if you miss calibration movies, you will miss real tracks in real movies.

You are not helping either yourself or the project if you ONLY pay attention to CMs and breeze thru the real movies.

My tactic is to deliberately CHOOSE NOT TO KNOW if a movie is a CM or a Real one. That way I'm careful Always.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Blarrrg wrote:
star~shaped wrote:10409B

I swear that's a track in the very top, left-middlish. Its the first calibration film iIve marked as having a track that didn't (out of 228 calibration films) and I'm baffled. Would anyone else have marked this as a track?
There's no doubt that that's a track.
YOU CAN NOT VIEW CALIBRATION MOVIES with the Stardust Viewer.

This is per the Forum Admin, last night.
So what ever 10409 is, it is NOT a calibration movie.
dashadeaux

Post by dashadeaux »

Question for DD: How can one view a specific calibration movie?
icebike

Post by icebike »

dashadeaux wrote:Question for DD: How can one view a specific calibration movie?
You can't. Read the post above yours. You probably missed it because the letters were big and red.

The Admin moderator has stated that you can not call up CMs in the viewer. If you key in a CM number, you get the A REAL movie instead.
dashadeaux

Post by dashadeaux »

Icebike,

You know the answer and so do I. Just wanted to get DD's slant on it. No need to shout.
Kerr Avon

Post by Kerr Avon »

Hi, Only been doing this a couple of days, but it is definitely addictive.
I came here to post a suggestion that calibration movies that I have missed tracks on should become available for review / education.
I'm fairly happy about spotting tracks coming in more or less normal to the surface, but I'm a lot less confident about grazing contacts, I find those very difficult to distinguish from fracture lines in the aerogel.
Baically, a list of mistaken calibration movies with the track marked would be very helpful, to me at least.
Thank you for a chance to become involved in this project.
Cheers and Best Wishesjavascript:emoticon(':)')
I arrived here as the result of a lomg series of accidents, . . . as did we all.
To follow knowledge like a sinking star, beyond the utmost bound of human thought, to seek, to strive, to find, and not to yeild.
dd

Post by dd »

icebike wrote: YOU CAN NOT VIEW CALIBRATION MOVIES with the Stardust Viewer.

I stand corrected: I did not know about this feature. ;-)
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Easy, now. Try not to let this devolve into a flame war.

Also, please remember that posting in all-caps, large letters, etc., especially when the words can be construed as aggressive, can hurt others' feelings.

If you wouldn't do it face-to-face, please try not to do it here.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

-Shar
merelake

Post by merelake »

it should be fairly easy to make it display the id of the previous movie (preferably hot linked) so we could go back for another look if we get one wrong
dbsep1

Post by dbsep1 »

icebike wrote:
I do NOT think its a good idea to be screen shoting and posting calibration movies.

Re-take the training if you want to tune up your skills.

Remember that if you miss calibration movies, you will miss real tracks in real movies.
I agree with you on posting the picture of the calibration movie so I edited my original post and removed it. The people I wanted to see it did and that’s enough for me. I still think this movie isn’t any good as a calibration slide.

"Re-take the training if you want to tune up your skills."

Lets get real these slides have nothing to do with training. After someone has viewed over a thousand slides 750 real ones and 250 calibration slides, not to mention at least 1000 out of focus slides and have only missed this one slide twice. I don’t feel I need to retake the training. These slides have one purpose and that’s to keep people from just blasting through the slides to run up their numbers, and that’s fine.

"Remember that if you miss calibration movies, you will miss real tracks"

In each case I did see the target but still don’t think it resembled anything close to a track as defined by their training. I wish they would post some stats on how many times a calibration movie has been viewed and what kind of accuracy people are getting. I guarantee that the only time this movie gets passed is by people that have seen it before.
crabbie

Just adding my calibration movie error

Post by crabbie »

Hello everyone :D Finally it's off the ground!!

I spent a few hours last night scanning movies and was a bit annoyed when I clicked on a blatant track in a calibration movie and it marked it down as incorrect. At least I'm not the only one having problems. Also, on 2 movies (unfortunately I didn't get the movie ID's) it looked like they were a crossover of 2 different tiles, that is to say that halfway down the focus dial the image changed completely. I marked those as "bad focus" so they would get looked at again. Is that the right thing to do?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Crabbie,

Yeah! We are finally going!

In the FAQ section, it lists the split movie as one of the questions. See:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=469

I hope this helps. It can really be surprising to me, especially when I am really focusing on the film and suddenly it jumps!

Take care and happy dusting!
From dust we come
crabbie

Post by crabbie »

Thanks Nikita :D
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

icebike wrote:
Blarrrg wrote:
star~shaped wrote:10409B

I swear that's a track in the very top, left-middlish. Its the first calibration film iIve marked as having a track that didn't (out of 228 calibration films) and I'm baffled. Would anyone else have marked this as a track?
There's no doubt that that's a track.
YOU CAN NOT VIEW CALIBRATION MOVIES with the Stardust Viewer.

If you'd paid more attention to the URL you quoted, you might have noticed that star~shaped didn't use the myevents_viewer for the link, he/she used the ss_virtual_microscope page, which does work just fine (aside from the "unusal route" message, which is actually true in that case). The downside being, it's not easy (or necessarily even possible) to reconstruct such an URL after you've moved on, from just the movie ID number, like you can with the myevents_viewer. But it works just fine here the way it was used, so I don't see much call for going big and red over it.

As for the image in question, I'd say the track I'd click was top, but just a hair right of dead center, rather than left-middlish. Are we talking about the same spot?
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma
captainkirk

Reviewing posts

Post by captainkirk »

I've gone back and reviewed most every incorrect calibration movie. On most I have seen my error. The thing that is annoying is that we are supposed to be looking for tracks. It's a shame to think you see something and get docked for it because you decided to take a chance on one, knowing you might get a calibration movie wrong. If they were clearly marked as such, we would still only have a 50-50 chance of getting it right, and on real movies we would be free to go with our gut on something. As a preview view posted, I am down in the 400's in the rankings with no hope of the top 100 because of time. So I want to be thorough. It's just annoying to do so and get docked.