Getting family involved?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

RedXevious

Getting family involved?

Post by RedXevious »

Hey there everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else here was considering or trying to get some of their family involved in the Stardust@Home project.

So far, my mother has been really interested in the project, and has encouraged me to do my best and try to find a particle, however, she isn't exactly computer savy if you know what I mean (she's 53), so she won't be doing any searching herself. I've also tried telling my sister about it, and she seems very interested as well. Hopefully, she'll join us and start looking too.

How about anyone else?

Balana

Getting family involved reply

Post by Balana »

Watch what you say about us "middle-agers"! There are a lot of us out there who are computer-savvy even with soon to be 9 grandchildren! Just kidding! I'm glad your mom shows some interest.... I get the response as most of us have...... blank stares, bewildered nodding, etc.! I believe I saw several posts saying family members were involved. I think it's great if your mom is interested. If she cooks, tell her it will be like finding a minute piece of eggshell in the eggwhite and computer will let her look down through the whites. That may get her over her hesitation. Good luck and keep us posted! It's good to have you with us!

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi!

As soon as I preregistered, I sent out an e-mail to the poeple who I thought would want to do it. Unfortunately, those who are interested, don't have the time, the ones that aren't interested, seem to have the time. I would love to have another family member to be involved. I think my kids will help me if I am doing it while they are home. My husband thinks it is very neat and has looked at the training focus movies, but declared he doesn't have the patience for it. In his defense, he does aerospace engineering (not rocket science, but jet engines) and the last thing he wants to do is stare at a computer! My Mom is very interested, but is a senior and very ill. The best I could do with her was to put her name on the Dawn mission.

I am still talking about the project and I hope I can get more interest once the project gets up and running. After this, I want to post a new thread where we can report where we have found media reports of the project. I am wanting to get some so I can have them - for memories!

Good luck with your family & friends. If you have luck, let me know what worked!
From dust we come

joecor99

Getting family involved?

Post by joecor99 »

Hey, Nikita, You say your husband is in Aerospace Engineering, but he doesn"t like computers? I've been a mainframe computer operator for over 30 yrs., and I LOVE computers! :) Computers are not only my vocation, but my avocation as well! I operate computers all night, then come home and play on my pc for hours before going to bed. I've been fascinated by them since I was a kid.

In answer to the question posed by this thread, I haven't been able to get anyone too interested in getting involved in this search, mostly because my family members are generally not too computer savvy. The 3 exceptions to this are my daughter, who has 2 little ones and another on the way (so she has little time for something like this), and my sister and brother, whom I haven't been able to discuss it with yet. My brother MIGHT be interested, but my sister probably wouldn't have the time. My mom might be interested, but she is EXTREMELY technophobic!She has a hard time even putting a tape in the VCR and playing it! My dad wouldn't be very interested either, other than maybe to ask me how the search is going. Also, he's even more technophobic than my mom is! LOL :D

Nikita
DustMod

Re: Getting family involved?

Post by Nikita »

joecor99 wrote:Hey, Nikita, You say your husband is in Aerospace Engineering, but he doesn"t like computers? I've been a mainframe computer operator for over 30 yrs., and I LOVE computers! :) Computers are not only my vocation, but my avocation as well! I operate computers all night, then come home and play on my pc for hours before going to bed. I've been fascinated by them since I was a kid.
Well, I didn't mean that he doesn't like computers. He does and he's our home IT Dept. It's that he doesn't feel up to looking for stardust after working on computers and working out problems on the plant floor. Actually, he likes PC games. Not the action/adventure games though. We're puzzle people. He likes Snood. http://www.womgames.com/index.php

We still have our children at home, so we don't get as much time to play on the computer. They do though! One of ours is into neopets. www.neopets.com The other older one plays Deal or No Deal on line. The littlest will play whatever toddler game he can!

More than you wanted to know....

Hey! Good luck on the dust quest!
From dust we come

joecor99

Getting Family Involved?

Post by joecor99 »

Thanks Nikita! And good luck to you, too, on your search! And btw, that wasn't too much info at all. I liked that little personal info. I love games too. I DO like action/adventure games, as well as RPG's and Strategy games. My current favorites are the Fallout series of games (action/RPG's), Stronghold (a castle building and sieging strategy game), and Syberia (an adventure game). :)

My wife loves WinBrick 2000 (an updated version of the old Breakout).

Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Well, let's all be glad that the volunteers don't get actual microscopes. I'm not good at any electronic things besides the computer. It took me over an hour once to figure out how to use a Xerox machine, plus the twenty minutes it took me to work up the nerve to tell a staff member that I didn't know how to find the code for it (remember, I'm the volunteer at the Living Desert, "Like a zoo, only better!" as the local radio ads say).
*imagines scenario*
*Looks through microcope monitor, and accidentally leans on red button labeled "air vent"* *walks out and trips on the cord that runs through the wall to the actual microscope, which is probably very large, and pulls the cord clear out of the microscope... BOOM! Bits of shrapnel pummel the walls*
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat

Blakut

Post by Blakut »

I won't involve my family (parents have their jobs, and are not interested in any of this). I will however involve my friends.
I've send emails to my friends in the astronomy club i'm in, and they all seemed very interested in this.

At my university however (Aerospace Engineering), most of my collegues seem more interested in aeronautics rahter than space...