+55 score within 14 minutes

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

icebike

Post by icebike »

jaco wrote:Az....can u explain to me how you have one screen for viewing and another for downloading the next movie? Theres no way to download the images for the next movie while scanning one...I've used Firefox and Omniweb...
Look, its already doing that for you.

While you are looking at one movie, its already caching the next.

All you have to wait for is your click to be sent back, and then the next movie pops up, and you can work with it immediately, while its downloading the next one.

jaco

Post by jaco »

AG how did u figure that out about movie numbers?

icebike

Re: Impossible!

Post by icebike »

jaco wrote:Orion...Bud say what you want, but it's humanly impossible...You're cheating.
Maxim...You too...sorry guys say what you will...but everyone knows you're cheating somehow....and they (SD@H) find will out.
Oooooh Scary.

Who gives a rip? It doesn't affect the science one way or another.

Nothing says the same account can't be used by two different people at the same time on two different computers. I have 6 computers within an arms reach, and if my wife was even vaguely interested in this kind of stuff we could both be working the same account.

Who cares.

This is a science project, not a video game! Grow up!

batdog

Post by batdog »

Just waiting for the first person to say: "I totally pwned you at dust spotting" or "You're such a n00b at callibration movies" :)

agurney

Post by agurney »

jaco wrote:AG how did u figure that out about movie numbers?
When you start seeing the same ones over and over again the pattern's obvious.

However, it's not a problem:
- it still keeps you on your toes
- you can save your eyes by not straining for something that isn't there
- you don't get unnecessarily excited when you see a real track
- and you know you may be the first to see the remainder

Orion_0169

Re: Impossible!

Post by Orion_0169 »

jaco wrote:Orion...Bud say what you want, but it's humanly impossible...You're cheating.
Maxim...You too...sorry guys say what you will...but everyone knows you're cheating somehow....and they (SD@H) find will out.

Jaco, think what you want. I'm just plugging away. There's a HUGE difference between "It can't be done." and "I can't do it."

There may very well be some people cheating out there. But, like it or not, you won't find many humans on the planet with more integrity than I. Sounds pretentious or pompous or arrogant?

Don't really care. It's true.

I won't apologise for your inferiority.

If you'd like to back a claim rather than spout accusations, knock yourself out, until then, like I said, the world is better served by people supporting each other.

My four year old is a driven, fierce, competitor with talents that put most of her peers to shame. She's also much more humble than I am - fortunately for her. But she has learned from me, tat when you are having difficulties with something worthwhile, there are only ever two options: try harder or ask for help.

Why don't you take some advice from the people that are better than you? Or why don't you just do this for the sake of doing.

I don't really care about people's scores - above or below me. It's certainly neat to see, bt oh well. And if someone ahead of me is cheating? So what? I don't see any talent scouts here for the national team. Besides if them appearing better drives me forward than all the better for me. And if they are "caught" even better.

I've now been through over 3500 total movies. Some people have suggested that cheaters only look at the test ones to ramp their score up. Well, like I said, I watch the movies, not the address bar. Maybe if some people spent more time watching the movies instead of the rankings, they'd get more done too. Oh, real movies? I'm now over 2600. So no, I'm not skipping them.

But oh what if I'm going through too fast. Well my % are now 100/93 and given the number of trials I'm up to, having moved my second one from 87 to 93 is quite an accomplishment.

If you're here to drag other people down, don't be here. If you are here to drag ME down, you can't touch me, so don't bother. I learned a long time ago that the anti-intellectualism in the world needs to be fought tooth and nail. I'm used to people who can't compete.

We have too many bright talented young people that are bullied into playing dumb and eventually being dumb.

Like I said in an earlier post, do you or any other whiners know who Reverend Robert Evans is? You should look him up.

Back to the earlier thought, when YOU can't do something, it doesn't necessarily say something about the task, more likely it says something about YOU.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Nikita wrote:They have both explained themselves...One movie at a time is enough for me... on vacation or something (by the way, are you guys?!?). But I'm not putting in the time they are."
Thank you, Nikita. Unfortunately, I'm limited to one window at a time now too. And despite the fast connexion here, I still have to wait a second or two before I can move on.

Yes, I'm on vacation. I also only average 4-5 hours sleep a day, so this has given me something else to do with my time. ;-)

Sounds like you're having fun with the reality of this experience. I am very much looking forward to sharing it with my students!

Orion_0169

Re: Apologies, well kind of....

Post by Orion_0169 »

jaco wrote:these guys can't scan that fast... They should just admiit [sic]they're having multiple people working on one account.
Can't. Clearly I have proven you wrong. See above post about the word impossible. As for me making that admission, to do so would be a lie. Just me here. Spending time with wife and kids now and then too. But they are all asleep right now. Would you like to talk to my wife and ask her? Must be so sad to have to face your inadequacies by trying to demean others.

"Compromise to please others is not as good as integrity that annoys others." - Huanchu Daoren

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

jaco wrote:Az....can u explain to me how you have one screen for viewing and another for downloading the next movie? Theres no way to download the images for the next movie while scanning one...I've used Firefox and Omniweb...
So two days ago when I had four windows open simultaneously, I was hallucinating? Why do you say there is NO way to do it, and ask someone how? If there is no way to do it, then clearly they can't tell you how.

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Hey Jaco, hate to depress you further, but up until a moment ago, I had to scroll every one of my new images slightly so I could watch the real movie stat. So that was adding some time to my performance. However, just decided to try tweaking my screen resolution a bit, and now I can go from one to another no scroll in between, That should speed me up a wee bit more. Does that change it from impossible to more impossible? Just curious.

Azrieling

Post by Azrieling »

agurney:
The shortcut to calibration movies is:
IDs 8000 to ~10300 are calibration movies with no track
~10300 to ~12000 are calibration movies with a track
there are fewer grey values in the calibration movies so they appear coarser.
I did not know there was shorcut. Although it may be helpful for some to know which numbers are track/no track, I find that the more I look at it, the better I get at finding tracks that are not calibrated. By the way, I think you misunderstood Orion when talking about 'points'- the reference was for the tracks that look like points not actual scoring points.

jaco: I use Firefox and I have tried it. You sign in, then open a brand new window (you will still be signed in) and then you click on the VM. The two windows have different movies. Tile the two windows and you will be able to see both on your monitor. I found it to be laborious but then again, waiting for movies to load is a waste of research time (don't you holy people chastise me for saying that, I've done research, a slow connection -back in the day- meant half my research day was wasted).

icebike is right though, the program catches the next movie for you so you can immediatly start as soon as you hit track/no track/bad focus. At the beginning, the connection was really slow. I was waiting for the next track to load because I already established a track or no track. I did not think to open two windows so I just worked on other stuff while it loaded. Nevertheless, it was frustrating to have to wait.

In the end, claiming top spot is cool but nothing will be more exhilarating than finding a REAL track. Lay off the guys who go through the slides quickly, it is very possible to go that fast! Just do what you want to do and ENJOY it- remember, if you are not having fun- STOP! I sit at Rank 244 and LOVING IT!
Strange people don't bother me, I bother strange people....

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

:D

Azrieling

Post by Azrieling »

It just occurred to me:

Why was Stardust@Home created?

Because they needed to be more efficient.

Because two microcopes with limited people on staff can't view the 1+ million movies.

Because if they could afford; or if a working quantum computer existed; they could do the processing in months not years.

Stardust went out and asked the people to allow them to use their time and multiple computers to filter through all those movies. It's like a pyramid, Stardust has loads of people watch movies, those people get multiple computers running (family and friends?, all the better), each computer opens multiple screens. It's efficient and it's the premise behing the program.

Will some tracks be missed? Yes, I have missed tracks when I flip through quickly but I have also missed (ironically, more) when taking my time(I've missed 6). That is why multiple people look at the slides. Remember that the "if two people agree" idea has been scrapped, ALOT of people are looking at the same slides over and over again. That means if I missed one, others will find it. Statistcally, it will not matter if you did not see a track- don't be so self centered- you will miss some no matter how hard you try! The world will not end, the track will not be lost forever! Scrapping a slide because one or two people said so is bad science (I assume these people are science majors who had to take a stats class).

So for those looking at multiple screens or enslaving family and friends to hook up on multiple computers, or just going through the slides really fast, knock yourselves out... I felel sorry for your family though....

For those whe are just clicking 'no track' all the time, as your sensitivity goes down, so does your credibilty... same goes for 'track' clickers... if you look at the ranks, Specificity & Sensitivity count so the worse your %, no matter your score, the lower you rank.

It is not cheating to be efficient in a friendly competition (no money involved in making top 100, just bragging rights) and cheaters will not prosper anyway.
Strange people don't bother me, I bother strange people....

Protostar

Calibration movies / Rankings

Post by Protostar »

Forgive me but. . . I thought the calibration movies were "fake" movies just to keep us on our toes. The enjoyment and satisfaction, I thought, come from getting and reviewing the "real movies". So why should the former matter? Am I missing something?
Wishes, lies, and dreams all spring from the same well. Knowing when to drink requires only a little common sense.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hello fellow dusters!

This issue has been hashed and rehashed many times. The top volunteers are giving their methods and time spans. If they are doing it wrong, it is up to the Stardust Team to decide. They do read the threads and are aware of this concern. If there is a need to investigate, then they will choose to do so. At this point, what I see are some volunteers who have time, ability and desire to put into this project. There will be lots more movies to view for all of us. If they are just blasting through the real films, then the dust will still be there for the FTF (first to find). If they are not, then they are just doing an amazing job. I wish I had the time and ability, but it's not for me on this project. I have too much else. But, we are not just looking into the unknown, we are doing the unknown. No one has ever done this before. We are paving the way for possible future projects!
I wish everyone success on the project to the best that they can do.We will only see what the final results will be!
From dust we come