Two Tracks in One Movie?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Two track in this movie 42180?

Yes, two tracks
30%
Only one track.
17%
I can't see any tracks
52%

Total votes: 23

WeBeGood

Two Tracks in One Movie?

Post by WeBeGood »

When you click on the movie to identify a track, it moves on to the next movie. So, how do I specify two suspected tracks in the same movie?

This one in particular:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=42180
RedXevious

Re: Two Tracks in One Movie?

Post by RedXevious »

WeBeGood wrote:When you click on the movie to identify a track, it moves on to the next movie. So, how do I specify two suspected tracks in the same movie?

This one in particular:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=42180
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you only have to mark it for one particle track, and they'll check the whole thing. So if there are two, they'll see them.
WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

The two suspect tracks don't quite come into complete focus. But it looks like to me they are either tracks or trash on the interior of the aerogel. They are coming into focus (getting sharper) as everything else going out of focus (getting blurrier). Bottom (focus down) picture is best.
IceDBear

Post by IceDBear »

The only thing in this movie that is 'geting sharper' are the two spots on the microscope that are in each movie...
Djingis Kan

Post by Djingis Kan »

Could you tell us where to look?

I only found one thing, right below the triangular shaped fragment, which I too would consider a possible track (comming up deeper in the aerogel).

Kan
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Actually, I don't believe there are any tracks in that particular movie. All of the particles appear in focus when looking at the surface of the gel.
nous recherchons la connaissance profonde
JohnPenny

Post by JohnPenny »

Oh dear, if only you an i can see these tracks then what hope is there for this project? :?
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

JohnPenny wrote:Oh dear, if only you an i can see these tracks then what hope is there for this project? :?
There are such things as "false positives." ;) The project is not doomed! :D
Join us on the Unofficial IRC channel!
irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home
WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

Djingis Kan wrote:Could you tell us where to look?

I only found one thing, right below the triangular shaped fragment, which I too would consider a possible track (comming up deeper in the aerogel).

Kan
The one below the triangular shaped fragment is the easy one. The other is harder to spot. If you extent the bottom line of the triangle to the upper right, the second one is 1/3 of the distance to the edge of the frame.

The best way to see this is to focus all the dots in the movie. You can mark this best focus spot (it is the surface) with a click of the mouse button. Now move the mouse up and down between the best focus and the bottom of the scale. All the surface (best focus) dots will get bigger, while the two interior dots will get smaller. Move the mouse fast and it should be obvious.

The other one I found that looks similar to these two is:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=41130

This one is very deep in the aerogel.
nexguy

Post by nexguy »

Hmm, I actually see 3 possible tracks. The two mentioned before:

1. Just below the large triangle shape in the middle
2. About 50 micons to the right of the triangle
3. A small one that comes into focus at about the 7th frame from the bottom. Look at the spot 25 microns from the right and 75 microns from the bottom.

Anyone else see these?
JohnPenny

Post by JohnPenny »

Here (shoot me if im wrong):

WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

nexguy wrote:Hmm, I actually see 3 possible tracks. The two mentioned before:

1. Just below the large triangle shape in the middle
2. About 50 micons to the right of the triangle
3. A small one that comes into focus at about the 7th frame from the bottom. Look at the spot 25 microns from the right and 75 microns from the bottom.

Anyone else see these?
Yeah, I see the one your talking about. Coming into focus in the 7th frame, like it's not as deep in the aerogel as the other two. Hmm, too many tracks in one piece? Maybe it's just a dirty piece of aerogel.
WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

[quote="JohnPenny"]Here (shoot me if im wrong):

Yes, those are the ones I'm talking about.
Luca

Post by Luca »

I know what you all are talking about but are those really tracks? I've noticed several of those and ignored them. They act like normal dust grains, only that they are below the surface. If it were a track it would leave a smudge that always comes visible before (in higher focus than) the actual ring. Do you know what I mean? That's what I think.
nexguy

Post by nexguy »

I would suggest these three.