You have reached this page via an unusual route - No i havnt

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

JohnPenny

You have reached this page via an unusual route - No i havnt

Post by JohnPenny »

Sorry to post another topic so fast, but this message is DESTROYING my enjoyment.

It seems that every time i find a track, i click it, it isnt recorded, and then i get this error. Also LOTS of the movies with this error HAVE TRACKS! Yet i cant answer them.

Why is this error poping up every couple of minutes? Im certainly doing nothing wrong.
Last edited by JohnPenny on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

Most, if not all, of the movies with tracks are calibration movies.

A lot of us are getting this message, however it is only occasional and we are still able to work pretty well.
Join us on the Unofficial IRC channel!
irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home
JohnPenny

Post by JohnPenny »

It certainly isnt "only occasional" for me Zsinj, or i wouldnt make a thread about it.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

JohnPenny,

This morning when I started working on this again, I opened up a few windows like I had been yesterday. I got that message all over the place. If I stayed in one window, no problem. As soon as I started switching from one to the other, I would get them. :(

As I hinted in another thread, I hope they haven't tweaked the system to prevent people from doing what I was doing. It was much more efficient. I have sinced gone back to one window and have not seen that message since.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
Youpi

Post by Youpi »

I've noticed that I got this message when I take time to answer.

In such cases I also have a blank page, only written "Stardust error" or something like that. I must then reload the homepage and re-log.
mglosenger

Post by mglosenger »

That was happening to me when I was using Firefox. Now that I'm using IE, it works fine. Try using IE.
JohnPenny

Post by JohnPenny »

Orion_0169 - I wasnt doing that.

But i am using firefox, i might try IE.
Youpi

Post by Youpi »

It happened to me while using IE... :(
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

I doubt this has anything to do with what browser we are using. As mentioned before, this happens to people when they're using multiple windows, or for me, multiple tabs. If I'm doing something else in another tab while images are loading, it is at that time I usually get your error.
drable

Post by drable »

Same thing happening with me - IE6.

V. frustrating - I get this message every few movies and the problem then stays with me for about 5 movies. Every time I get the message it means that the movie which leads to the message is discounted as well as the movie the message appears with. This has led it not to register a few tracks which I have selected. V. annoying. Is there any solution? Can the servers just not cope?

drable
smartsam

Post by smartsam »

I was using a single window in both Firefox and Internet Explorer and it still happened to me. This was during several registration tests.

I am also being logged out of the forum for some reason while I am trying to post messages.

Edit: I have now managed to complete the test and registration. The message came up again but when I refreshed the window, it took me back to the next movie. I guess problems like these are to be expected, I am sure the guys at Berkeley are doing their best with what they have, they always do. :D
Last edited by smartsam on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vibri2001

Post by vibri2001 »

I was getting this same error yesterday when the servers were running very slow to load an image. I had two browsers open and I noticed I got this message more frequently if both browsers were trying to load an image at the same time. Since the added server capacity last night I have been only using one browser and have not received this error again.

I also noticed I received the 'Stardust error' message if I left the PC and came back later and didn't refresh the image first. It must time out after a certain period of inactivity.

In addition congratulations and or thank you to the Stardust networking/web team the images now load in 2-3 seconds instead of 10-15.
Henri Valta

Post by Henri Valta »

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

The issue is known, please check this thread for progress.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... highlight=
Just dusting... Image
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

Henri Valta wrote:Temporary solution here:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =2599#2599

-Henri
This thread has been deleted. Most likely because it can cause uneven load balances across the different servers causing latency all around.