Pre Registered Assurance??

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DustyStar

Pre Registered Assurance??

Post by DustyStar »

I Pre-registered several months ago (I think it was January[?]). Just before I did, I created an email address specifically for the project: "stardustathomemail@putergraphics.com". I never received any confirmation that I registered, nor have I received any other email from "the project".
As I was signing up for this forum, the email form box "offered" to complete the box for me: "stardustathomemail", which may indicate that I didn't complete the address when I registered.
Did any of you who signed up awhile back get any confirmation of registering or any other correspondence?
I think forms usually insist on an “@” sign in an email field, but I’m not sure of that; nor am I sure that I didn’t complete the address when I registered.
In any event, do any of you know how I might find out if I'm registered and/or what the process will be if I find that I didn’t properly sign up? THNX

the martian

Post by the martian »

I completed pre registration, and they didnt send me any confirmation.
I was worried about that I didnt typed right email address. I will rather check every day if this project has stared instead of waiting for their mail.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Nope I didn't recieve a confirmation email either. Guess thats normal here . :(
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

I was actually beginning to worry that they wouldn't send the email to a free email account. In fact, I was planning on also preregistering with my Plattsburgh account just to insure I get it, but they shut down preregistration before I could.

If you look at the news on the main site, you'll see that they haven't quite got all the movies they wanted and they are having some technical issues, and the email is to notify that the testing and registration has begun. Since the registration hasn't begun, they haven't sent out the email. Anyway, this is a big research project, I would rather that they are able to get everything working well before they throw up the slides for us to search. This is also a pretty unique project in that so many people are actively searching, so there is a major technological hurddle to overcome. All I can say for now is patience will pay off in the end.
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I have passes e-mailes with one of the Berkley folks about the e-mail. They were still working on setting up the e-mail stuff as of the first of the month. They did not have a specific name for the e-mail at that time. I was concerned that I would miss the mailing if it ended up in my bulk folder. BUt I have raised the concern about that with them at that time, so I'm sure they are going to take care of it. But also, they probably aren't opening it up yet because you know they'd get flooded with the message board questions and concerns as well as, "Are you ready yet?" "How about now?" :D
From dust we come

DustyStar

Post by DustyStar »

Nikita wrote:I have passed e-mailes with one of the Berkley folks about the e-mail. They were still working on setting up the e-mail stuff as of the first of the month. They did not have a specific name for the e-mail at that time. I was concerned that I would miss the mailing if it ended up in my bulk folder. BUt I have raised the concern about that with them at that time, so I'm sure they are going to take care of it. But also, they probably aren't opening it up yet because you know they'd get flooded with the message board questions and concerns as well as, "Are you ready yet?" "How about now?" :D

Is it soup yet?... What do you folks think about the cached info in the form's email field? What are the chances I messed that up?
Stinking? We don't need no badges Stinking!

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi all,

Here's the deal with pre-registration: back when we launched the first version of the website, we knew that it would be a few months after the Stardust capsule return before we would be ready to start this project. But we wanted to use the media attention around the return to spark everyone's interest. The only purpose of "pre-registration" was to gather a list of people who were interested in participating in the project. Then, when we were ready to start the project we could re-ignite the interest by simply sending an email to everyone inviting them to come back to the site, learn more about the project, take the tutorial and test, register for real, and then start searching.

Admittedly, we probably should have included a way for people to verify that they were on the list, like sending them a confirmation email. But we didn't, so that's why no one got an email. We still haven't sent one.

We didn't send out an email every time we experienced a delay because we had promised to send only one email when we were ready, and we didn't want to become an annoyance. Again, still not ready, so no email.

To keep people updated, we simply added a "Latest News" section to the front page of the website. Our hope was that people would visit the website, see that news and then know that we were delayed.

Finally, after the last delay we decided that we should at least launch the new website so that those who were chomping at the bit (so to speak) could have something new to interact with and we could get this forum going. This seems a much better way of communicating with you all. Of course we are still not ready so the test, registration, and search are currently unavailable. Fear not, every day we get closer and closer. Soon all you pre-registered folks will be getting an email letting you all know that we are ready to go!

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

I think the Forums was a great Idea ! As you said, What better way to communicate with everyone. :)
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Yeah, kudos on the forum. I do like the idea of being able to communicate with fellow stardusters.

Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Speaking of media attention, about three weeks ago I was visiting my mom in LA. She's sight-impaired (used because "blind" seems to be synonymous with "sightless"), so we took the bus around. One night, we were on the Metro 156, and I saw a program on Stardust. Of course, that's when we reached our stop. :roll:
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Siegfried wrote:Speaking of media attention, about three weeks ago I was visiting my mom in LA. She's sight-impaired (used because "blind" seems to be synonymous with "sightless"), so we took the bus around. One night, we were on the Metro 156, and I saw a program on Stardust. Of course, that's when we reached our stop. :roll:
Probably on The Science Channel. They like making shows based around the probes. The did one for Stardust, MRO, and Venus Express each.

Oh, and speaking of media attention, I'm surprised by the lack of attention given in Plattsburgh to Dr. George Flynn, a physic professor at Plattsburgh State University College that happens to be one of the researchers working on the sycrotron. I mean, they cover a lot of the stuff that Lake Champlain Research Institute does.

Sun Tzu II

Post by Sun Tzu II »

bmendez wrote: To keep people updated, we simply added a "Latest News" section to the front page of the website. Our hope was that people would visit the website, see that news and then know that we were delayed.

-Bryan
Can we have RSS feeds for that too?
I've just downloaded Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and I'd like to put its RSS feed reader to good use
Amazing how much interest specks of dust can spark

Balana

Post by Balana »

bmendez wrote:Hi all,

Here's the deal with pre-registration: back when we launched the first version of the website, we knew that it would be a few months after the Stardust capsule return before we would be ready to start this project. But we wanted to use the media attention around the return to spark everyone's interest. The only purpose of "pre-registration" was to gather a list of people who were interested in participating in the project. Then, when we were ready to start the project we could re-ignite the interest by simply sending an email to everyone inviting them to come back to the site, learn more about the project, take the tutorial and test, register for real, and then start searching.

Admittedly, we probably should have included a way for people to verify that they were on the list, like sending them a confirmation email. But we didn't, so that's why no one got an email. We still haven't sent one.

We didn't send out an email every time we experienced a delay because we had promised to send only one email when we were ready, and we didn't want to become an annoyance. Again, still not ready, so no email.

To keep people updated, we simply added a "Latest News" section to the front page of the website. Our hope was that people would visit the website, see that news and then know that we were delayed.

Finally, after the last delay we decided that we should at least launch the new website so that those who were chomping at the bit (so to speak) could have something new to interact with and we could get this forum going. This seems a much better way of communicating with you all. Of course we are still not ready so the test, registration, and search are currently unavailable. Fear not, every day we get closer and closer. Soon all you pre-registered folks will be getting an email letting you all know that we are ready to go!

-Bryan
Bryan,

Thanks so much for the detailed update. The advantage of no pre-registration emails being sent out is anyone not seriously interested in the project would most likely not take any action to get updates on the project. This forum provides those of us with a true interest a way to stay informed. We will be ready, willing and able when you are!

Leah

e-mail list

Post by Leah »

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

I was also worried when I hadn't received anything so I tried to sign up again just in case. To my surprise up came a message that said that my email address was already on file!!

So I was no longer concernedjavascript:emoticon('8)')

MrFizziks

Pre-registration

Post by MrFizziks »

I was wondering. I am a high school science teacher and am pre-registered. I know that pre-registration is closed, but it appears that that was just a "pretend" registration anyway, and we will all be invited back to register for real when the project is up.
My question is, going into a new school year, will people who did not pre-register be able to register now. (since the pre-registration was more of an interest poll) This would be something I would like to offer students in my Earth/Space Science classes the opportunity to do.

Thanks
Andy Jones
Tecumseh High School