"I think I've found a track, what do you think?" A

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Sasari

Post by Sasari »

Here is another one

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=41887

To the far right in the middle. You can see the small track doesn't show up until you get to deeper levels of the gel until you get down to the dust.

This is the spot I'm looking at. Once you see it in animation it looks a lot more like a track though.

Last edited by Sasari on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOC

Post by JOC »

Looks the same as the others.

There's no near-cylindrical section of the pattern, it'd have to be a conical opening if the fuzzy rings visible were the walls of the impact path?

My 2c worth, anyway :-)
Twinkle, twinkle, little dust!
How I wonder which to trust!
From stars above the world you fell!
Buried like treasure in aerogel.
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

If you watch the video in the spot I marked you can see the cone and watch it shrink the deeper it goes.
JOC

Post by JOC »

I did view the movie, in fact. I appreciate your points, Sasari. I'm just not sure that we'd find the particle of dust at the point of a cone shaped end-point.

There'd the explosive area blown out by the initial impact, and then a fine needle pointed path where everything gets brought to a halt.

I stand to be corrected, of course. The more things that turn out to be dust, the better.
gavin42g

Post by gavin42g »

I found what looks like a small particle: movie 43468, below the middle of the large 'U' shape. It only has one other agreement out of seven, so if it does turn out to be something of interest, pay attention, guys.

It DOES feel good to click on something promising and not see your score go up. :D
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

Here is a good example of a verified track that is very similar to these tracks. This is one of the test questions and the correct answer is the small dot in the dead center.

http://tinyurl.com/n8pf6
JOC

Post by JOC »

That is an interesting one. And as you say, quite different from the other training movies(which have distinct entry channels).

In this one, you can still see debris half way in and also the entry point at the surface (pic shifts left as you focus deeper).

Question then is, is it the dust particle itself that we can see at the dark center-point or is it the tapering walls of the end of the channel. Could be either I guess.

Best be marking all particles below surface depth as candidates?
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

The characteristic I look for is that the particle/track becomes more focused when you are clearly going deeper into the gel.
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

And now at 250 points I just missed my first calibration movie =( I said there wasn't a track when there was. I think I need some sleep now lol. It's so nice to be able to do movie after movie with almost no lag/wait time though :(
JOC

Post by JOC »

Fits in with what we're doing already, just that 'particles' with no track visible above them are possible/likely/sought-after (depending on what they turn out to be) :-)
Eric

hello

Post by Eric »

I am collecting such image on my anonymous ftp server. Feel free to add some yourself. I think I've gotten most of the ones mentioned so far.

ftp://stubbs.ws/stardust/
gavin42g

Post by gavin42g »

A lot of the other potential particles that people have been posting, and one that I've seen myself, look like this, and not at all like the tutorial and calibration movie examples. It'll be interesting to see when the first ones of these get "back from the lab" and we find out if we're barking up the right tree.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Sasari wrote:Here is a good example of a verified track that is very similar to these tracks. This is one of the test questions and the correct answer is the small dot in the dead center.

http://tinyurl.com/n8pf6
Your link does not work (for anyone but you).

Is the one you were reffering to?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=35874

(if so, I see nothing... 35874 is a bad focus. The surface lies about two clicks up from the bottom.
JOC

Post by JOC »

The link did work (after a fashion), after I had a browser window open where I was logged in to my own account. It did show a 'you got here by an unusual route' type error. Prob not the best way to be messing with the system.

Then, the ID displayed on the movie page, when it worked, wouldn't produce the same movie when using the usual URL
( http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... ?movie_id=..... )
yakmin1967

Post by yakmin1967 »

gavin42g wrote:I found what looks like a small particle: movie 43468, below the middle of the large 'U' shape. It only has one other agreement out of seven, so if it does turn out to be something of interest, pay attention, guys.

It DOES feel good to click on something promising and not see your score go up. :D
Think you may be right. Very small, good spot.