"I think I've found a track, what do you think?" A

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

dannyzs

Post by dannyzs »

Focus to the very bottom, then look middle-right
Last edited by dannyzs on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrett777

Post by barrett777 »

Ooh, looks small but real to me. You're talking about the pinprick towards the middle-right?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

My understanding is that the track will look fairly much in focus in many layers. That is what distinguishes it from a spec. If you were to cut cross sections of the tunnel made by the track, each and every ring should be reasonably well focused as you go down.

One of the things I've been doing is looking for discrepencies between any single artifact and all the surrounding ones. Those, to me don't look any different than the stuff around.

I could be wrong of course, hopefully some direction will be coming on this soon. But I'm just trying to trust my judgement based on their rating system. (under 5% wrong on over 600 callibration movies... and only 5 errors in my last 300ish)
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
dannyzs

Post by dannyzs »

yep
dannyzs

Post by dannyzs »

Do I get to name it if its real?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Sasari, I don't see any in any of those. I see what I think you might have chosen, but don't see those as tracks. :?
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
leggat

Post by leggat »

maybe, maybe, and maybe, make that. I'd click the bad focus button for the second image, as the entire image is hardly in focus even at the bottom bar.

gotta love the edit button
Last edited by leggat on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavin42g

Post by gavin42g »

I think that the rings we see as we're closing in on the speck aren't the 'track" or impact crater or anything, but just the speck being out of focus. Perhaps the path it takes through the gel is too small to see? We can't have any confidence that real interstellar particles will behave the same way on contact as human-accelerated ones in a lab.
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

Nice find, if you were the first one to find it and it turns out to be good I don't see why not. I have 3 of these in my events now. I think I was the first on 1 or 2 of them. I think the 3rd was given to me to help verify it though.
barrett777

Post by barrett777 »

Make sure when you comment on movies, you specify whose you're commenting about, or everyone's if that's the case
dannyzs

Post by dannyzs »

Yay, someone has agreed with me :wink:
My Current Rank : 153
Highest Achieved Rank : 4
Total Finds : 14
Total First Time Finds : 4
Total First Time Finds That Have a Possibility of Being Actual Tracks : 2
Total People Who Agree on The Above: 9
Total Approved Finds by StarDust Team : 0
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

Orion_0169 wrote:Sasari, I don't see any in any of those. I see what I think you might have chosen, but don't see those as tracks. :?
In a VM microscope page paste the link
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

or the tinyurl version

http://tinyurl.com/n8pf6

This is a calibration movie and the speck in the middle is the track. I have seen calibration movies that look even closer to my findings but I don't remember their IDs.

From everyones findings so far I think this is what we are mainly going to find.
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

I was skeptical about this type of track until I saw calibration movies use these same exact types of tracks. They are extremely rare movies. Of 280 calibration movies I've only seen it used 3 times.
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

Sasari wrote:
Orion_0169 wrote:Sasari, I don't see any in any of those. I see what I think you might have chosen, but don't see those as tracks. :?
In a VM microscope page paste the link
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

or the tinyurl version

http://tinyurl.com/n8pf6

This is a calibration movie and the speck in the middle is the track. I have seen calibration movies that look even closer to my findings but I don't remember their IDs.

From everyones findings so far I think this is what we are mainly going to find.
Pasting this type of link does not work due to measures put in place to prevent cheating by giving movies more agreements than they rightfully received.
Join us on the Unofficial IRC channel!
irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home
endust

Post by endust »

I got the same movie to review and marked it as a track. I've seen two others with the same characteristic a VERY small black speck that comes into focus deeper in the aerogel. I dont know if its a track or embedded dust but it does require review by the Stardust team. I made the second hit on it so you must have been the first. Good Luck