"I think I've found a track, what do you think?" A

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

dd

Post by dd »

Belinda posted another nice track on the "I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie" thread: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=45740

Its much closer to the surface and I think we even see the start of the track. It's a beautiful example because unlike the two others posted here we can clearly see the slope of the track.

Good catch Belinda! :-)
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

dd Those 25 agreements are for 65 viewings. The 10 agreements for the bad focus movie I discussed are for 27 viewings. As percentages they are very close to the same. Keep in mind the bad focus one should have been obvious. And it wasn't. For almost 40% of viewers.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
dd

Post by dd »

Orion_0169 wrote:dd Those 25 agreements are for 65 viewings. The 10 agreements for the bad focus movie I discussed are for 27 viewings. As percentages they are very close to the same. Keep in mind the bad focus one should have been obvious. And it wasn't. For almost 40% of viewers.
I missed that... Anyway it's clear that some things have not been understood by a number of people. Maybe the tutorial should be more explicit on how focusing works, with a small animation for example? But it may become too technical for most of the volunteers.

Personally I don't care too much about too many false positives: it's not my job ;-) I trust that if the stardust team sees a problem they will react in a way or another to correct it. For example by adding false positives movies in the set of calibration movies. Secretly of course ;-) ;-)
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

dd wrote:Personally I don't care too much about too many false positives: it's not my job ;-) I trust that if the stardust team sees a problem they will react in a way or another to correct it. For example by adding false positives movies in the set of calibration movies. Secretly of course ;-) ;-)
Damien (et. al.)...

IMHO, I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head (or lense on the dust?)! Whether one thinks that these "tracks" were made by spacedust or not (and, for the record, I still don't think either of these fit the model I would expect - but then again I'm not an astrophysicist! :wink: ), I have come to the conclusion that identifying them is worthwhile, since all we can do is speculate - the S@H team has the tools necessary to evaluate (ie, confirm/deny).

Yeah, you probably are making more "work" for the team, but one of their tenets has always been "expect the unexpected" - they really don't know exactly what the tracks will look like in all cases themselves. The upside is that this gives them a chance to make pre-qualified candidate reviews, and considering that without us the effort on their part would have been far, far greater, I really don't think they mind the downside, looking thru a few extra non-tracks along the way.

Lastly, interesting commentary and perspectives on this thread - you guys (of all genders) have been very enlightening and I appreciate the chance to read through your viewpoints!! :D

Best of luck, and happy dusting!!
Jeff
Ulrich Rieth

Post by Ulrich Rieth »

How about this picture perfect lateral track?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=24625
It even shows a ring strucure at the entrance.
Cheers!

Ulrich
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Ulrich Rieth wrote:How about this picture perfect lateral track?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=24625
It even shows a ring strucure at the entrance.
Interesting.

This one's hard to make a call on because it drops to the bottom of the focus bar too early. It's a definite possibility, though, because is shows aspects of both an entry hole and a POSSIBLE track. I'm a little leery of the color of that track, though -- it's awfully dark and might just be a shadow. See the other objects at surface in the movie? They are showing similar shades of color at the same depth.

I dunno. I'd definitely have clicked it, but it's borderline and really needs a deeper movie.

-Shar
dd

Another one bites the dust...

Post by dd »

OK, this one is not so obvious but it's the biggest one I've ever seen. The funny part is that I'm the 64th person to see this movie and I'm the first one to flag it... So either I'm crazy (likely ;-)) or you should not be too desperate about being the first to find a track. Let's look at it:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=16671
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=404119V1
I know it does not look very convincing so here's two annotated images:

Image Image

The first one is the nearly focused surface (we a slightly below the surface which is never perfectly focused in this movie). The circle highlights a small point which is also almost in focus. That point indicates that the aerogel is relatively flat in this region since it's focused roughly at the depth as the large feature a few cm away.

The second one is the lowest slice. You can see 'something large' coming in focus. Focus is not reached but it's clearly below the surface since there is a point right above with a better focus (first image). And since it's a linear feature...

Of course (?) the track is very large and too deep to be star dust (another wild guess). Referring to one of the example movies mentioned earlier in this thread I would classify this as a micro meteorite track.

About the trajectory: the focus on the upper left large chunk of the track is slightly worse than the focus on the other large chunk (5cm away). It could mean that the track is tilted (good news) and that the object penetrated from the lower boundary of the image.

I know I'm doing a bit too much detective work on these movies... but I'm having fun so I must be doing it right, right? :) Now what's your opinion? Is it really hot or do I need to get some coffee? :shock:
Last edited by dd on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
peliROJO

Post by peliROJO »

I came across this video and see three tiny dots appear below the surface. One is near the middle and the other two are on the left. None are at the same layer.

It's at 77 viewings and 12 Agreements.
great97452

Post by great97452 »

peliROJO wrote:I came across this video and see three tiny dots appear below the surface. One is near the middle and the other two are on the left. None are at the same layer.

It's at 77 viewings and 12 Agreements.
The one near the middle and one on the left all looks like a track to me.But I can't find another one which you've said on the left . They are too small.
Protostar

Movie #33318

Post by Protostar »

:wink: Whoever has movie #33318 in their account, I just wanted to let you know I'm the only other person who has agreed with you. So. . . if there is spacedust, remember me buddy! :wink:
Wishes, lies, and dreams all spring from the same well. Knowing when to drink requires only a little common sense.
icebike

Re: Movie #33318

Post by icebike »

Protostar wrote::wink: Whoever has movie #33318 in their account, I just wanted to let you know I'm the only other person who has agreed with you. So. . . if there is spacedust, remember me buddy! :wink:
That was me, but I clicked it by mistake when dropped my mouse on the floor. Lucky it wasn't a calibration movie...

:twisted: Just kidding, or course.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi. This kind of belongs in the "I think I found a track" sticky, so I have reposted it over there.

This one is locked.

d8/10
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
jsellers

WOW, looks like I found another one

Post by jsellers »

It looks like I snagged some more comet dust!

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4175 ... ustru4.gif

I guess this means we all missed the boat. Whoops!
plexuz

Multiple small tracks or just artefacts?

Post by plexuz »

The movie 5860637V1 has something like multiple tracks. I counted 7! Is it possible at all, or it's just an artefact? Another question - which one should I click?
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Multiple small tracks or just artefacts?

Post by DustBuster »

plexuz wrote:The movie 5860637V1 has something like multiple tracks. I counted 7! Is it possible at all, or it's just an artefact? Another question - which one should I click?
Hi plexuz.

This post falls into the Discussion forum sticky category of "I think I've found a track, what do you think?" Please re-post your message there (here is the link) http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=647

Thank you.
(locked 8/10)
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!