Size of Particles

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Siegfried

Size of Particles

Post by Siegfried »

In one of the tutorial steps (I forget which), it has an "easily visible micrometeorite." Now, stardust particles are expected to be small. Why are they suspected to be so small. Why would it be surprising to find a particle as big as the micrometeorite found in that tutorial.
Also, do you expect to run across some potential micrometeorites that happened to be travelling in the same general direction as the "Interstellar Dust Stream", as I beleive it was once called?
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

They might just be looking for the dust.
MDG

Post by MDG »

Hi Siegfried,

From some of the reading I've done on the dust particles, this is what I understand. Interstellar dust forms by condensation around stars etc. The type of grain depends on the type of star, eg if there is more oxygen in than carbon in the star the process gives rise to silicate grains. I guess the grain could be quite sizable at this time. However, when it "hitches" a ride on the "interstellar dust stream" it must undergo some kind of changes. Cosmic rays and UV rays also affect it, so I guess by the time it nears our sun it has lost quite a bit of weight.
Anyway, that's what I understand it to be, I could be wrong. :wink:

M.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

I've written some more explanatory text about interstellar dust, but it hasn't been posted to the live website yet. but in short the typical size of an interstellar dust grain living in the interstellar medium is 1 micron.

It's possible we may see some random impacts from micrometeors, etc.. The probability is not that great though. We have no idea what we'll find until we look. That's part of the excitement of science!

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH