Rethink the Virtual Microscope system.

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

vonHalenbach

Rethink the Virtual Microscope system.

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hello all !

I´ve tested the virtual microscope with my Firefox browser 1.5.0.3 . The focusing is a bit impractical. It may work perfect with Internet Explorer. My browser does not automaticly reload the pictures.

How many pictures and which size would the "VM" movie have ?

Could it be better if the movie is stored as simple "row of pictures" in a simple html page? ( the number of pictures shouldn´t be more than fourty or so)
I think it is important that every volunter should see all pictures of his batch to lessen the possibility to miss an impact.

If the VM-movie has more than fourty pictures it could be better to distribute them as *.MPG movies. In the most movie players is the option to watch the movie picture for picture.
(then you can watch the movie in slow motion too. That would help to identify impacts faster.)

What do you think?

Greetings

Stefan von Halenbach
alexander

Post by alexander »

For me, the VM worked quite well when doing the tutorial. I'm using Konqueror under SUSE Linux 10 and the VM, after it loaded all the pictures, worked just fine. After reading your posting I tried Firefox 1.0.8 and didn't have a problem either. I'll probably see how Firefox 1.5 under Windows works for me later during the day.
I think the current format is pretty good. It works (in theory) for everyone who has a web browser and is quite intuitive.
Showing all the different images in a simple HTML file would, in my opinion, not make it easier to spot tracks, on the contrary. Being able to see the transitions when you change the focus is very helpful and I wouldn't want to do it without that. Having several images on the page would also slow the process of viewing and analyzing the movie down greatly.
A downloadable movie could be an interesting alternative, but not more than that. It would require some people to install players that can handle whatever format the movies come in, plus there are many players that do not allow you to (easily) view the movie picture by picture.
The process of downloading and then viewing every movie would also be rather time consuming compared to the current process.

After the tutorial I have to say that I quite like the VM as it is, but your suggestions could be offered as alternatives in case the VM doesn't work with your browser.

Have you tried to see if maybe you screwed up some configurations in your browser? Or maybe you didn't wait long enough for all the images to load?

Alexander
follerma

Worksforme

Post by follerma »

Hi,

I am also using Firefox 1.5.0.3 and have no problems whatsoever. It might be a good idea to post the exact requirements for watching the movies correctly (like JavaScript activated, minimum Internet speed).

Frank
brandofo

Post by brandofo »

edit: Just do what Alex said.
Last edited by brandofo on Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
vonHalenbach

All right.

Post by vonHalenbach »

I have activated everything in the options of the Firefox . I even activated Java.
Restarted the browser. And still had the problem with the not refreshing pictures.

Then i tried my old Konqueror 3.4.3 (Javascript enabled) and had no problems anymore.

Now i agree with you that it is very easy to use the "virtual microscope" .

I should probably update the firefox.

thank you

Stefan von Halenbach
d3cpo

Re: Worksforme

Post by d3cpo »

follerma wrote:Hi,

I am also using Firefox 1.5.0.3 and have no problems whatsoever. It might be a good idea to post the exact requirements for watching the movies correctly (like JavaScript activated, minimum Internet speed).

Frank
I am also using 1.5.0.3 and it works great.. almost better that in IE
moktod

Post by moktod »

I am using Gentoo 2.6.16 with Firefox 1.5.0.3 and the tutorial seemed to work just fine. I'd like to take the test and properly register, but it seems the service is unavailable at the moment:

Stardust Search
Test & Register - currently unavailable

:cry:

-moktod
mattp
Site Admin

Post by mattp »

Hi,

As it states on the front page of the Stardust@home website -
the testing, registration, and virtual microscope features of this website are not yet enabled.
- we do not currently have a date when the virtual microscope will be live.

For info, here's a link to the beginnings of the technical faq -

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/techfaq.php

Thanks,
Matt
martinbogo

Post by martinbogo »

Pity. Is the team still having problems capturing the first tile? I thought the new software fix would allow the first scanned tile to be available.

:(
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I've had no problems with my Firefox browser in the tutorial VMs.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Oograh Boike

Post by Oograh Boike »

Firefox 1.5, Java 1.5, SuSE Linux 10.0 x64, no problems whatsoever. Looks like vonHalenbach is the odd man out :cry:
FVEE48

IE

Post by FVEE48 »

I am using I.E. 6.0 - no problems whatsoever during
the tutorial.
Norm B., aka FVEE48
moktod

Re: IE

Post by moktod »

FVEE48 wrote:I am using I.E. 6.0 - no problems whatsoever during
the tutorial.
I am having serious issues...that ppl STILL use IE :x

-moktod
TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

I tried both Firefox and IE, and my result were that it ran a lot smoother in IE.
ffrreeaakk

Post by ffrreeaakk »

I've tried Opera and Deepnet Explorer (IE engine).
It took Opera a little time to focus while using Deepnet focusing was faster and smoother.