Left-handed VM

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DustBuster
DustMod

Left-handed VM

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Matt...

I don't know if/when you can answer this, but would you consider an option to have the focusing bars on the left side of the focus movie? I have to switch my mouse over to my left and it's making me realize how right-hand oriented the web is.

Anyone else out there who is actually left-handed have any comments on this? Would it make any difference to you? Have you already given-in to a right-hand dominant world?

No polls, please.

sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

one could say that I have given in to a right hand dominated world, as I was born left-handed and have tought myself to be ambidextrous. I think that if it can be easily done, it would be a great idea, because hey, who doesn't appreciate things being made easier for everyone to use. I would love to see it done.
You rang?

GelDelve

Re: Left-handed VM

Post by GelDelve »

No comment
Last edited by GelDelve on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

I just tried it out left handed (I have a mouse on either side of my keyboard, the one on my left is a graphic tablet), and it seems alright to me. I guess it just comes down to preference and perspective.

Oh, and according to my parents, I was a lefty up to the age of 3.
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

GelDelve wrote:
I hope this doesn't sound inconsiderate, because it's not meant to be. If the original VM had put the focus bars on the left, I don't think any of us righties would have thought it was left oriented. Maybe then you would have requested the bars be on the right? I would think all that is important is that you can use your left hand on the mouse, not where the bars are located. It's like the window's menu items at the top (File, Edit, etc.). Are those right hand oriented and to make them left hand oriented they need to be on the right top instead of the left top?
Not at all, that is why I posed the question to lefties; did it seem inconsiderate- and would it be considerate or even make a difference to offer a choice, even if the post didn't come out that way. I'm right-handed; but its all worn out to a shriveled crook right now!

and sb126k- I'd love to be ambi at everything, but the only other things I've taught myself left-haded is darts and billiards... but that's a different story.

annaz
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by annaz »

DustBuster wrote:Hi Matt...

I don't know if/when you can answer this, but would you consider an option to have the focusing bars on the left side of the focus movie? I have to switch my mouse over to my left and it's making me realize how right-hand oriented the web is.
Part of the reason why we have the focus movie on the left and the focusing bar on the right is that in Western countries, we usually start reading from upper, left corner first. I’m sure it’s unintentional but Josh and Matt probably felt that the focus movie is more important to see first than the focus bar. This is also the same reason why I put the “Get Started” box on the upper, left corner on the main page, because I felt this is what I want people to see first when they log onto Stardust@Home. It’s not necessarily trying to be right-hand oriented =)

As far as having the option to choose which side the focusing bar will be on, I think that might be a little more complicated and least of our worries right now. Unless there are a lot of people telling us that they can’t use VM, we probably wouldn’t add that extra function. Sorry!

Hope that helps!

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi annaz,
I must apologize. Text conversation makes it difficult to convey the spirit behind some comments and I will try to keep that in mind and not generalize and concatenate ideas in the future... right after this:

Your design logic is perfectly sound and I am in total agreement with you.
I have web design experience and I applaud you all for a job well done. Utilizing a simple, tried-and-true, low tech, econimical and universally browser-friendly approach (JavaScript) is a stroke of genius in today's Internet circus of proprietary plug-ins or other unreliable cross-platrform programming.

I think I was unsettled at the thought of having to switch my mouse to my left hand. Have you ever tried to write with the opposite hand? Assuming you're not ambidextrous, you know what I mean. So I wondered if it would be easier (not just for me, but for other lefties) if the focusing bar were on the left; hence the flurry of statements.
What I should have done before the post is what I have done since- which is downloaded one of the tutorial focus movie pages, switched it to the left hand side and tried it out for myself. It made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Case closed. Request withdrawn. My boo-boo. But thank you to everyone for the comments.
Oh, and another rule I had overlooked: 'If it works, don't fix it'.

Howie

Left or right???

Post by Howie »

How about puting it in a good spot above or below???

Left to right for us americans???

My only other problem was screen size and orientation...

Had to always move the screen around to see everything with a 17 inch screen...

I want to view the page and search without moving the screen!!!

Sincerely,
Howie

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Howie,

Yours might be settings related. What do you have your screen resolution set to? I'm at 1280 x 1024 and have plenty of real estate. The technical FAQ states known issues with 800 x 600 and recommends 1024 x 768 minimum for best results. If that isn't it, here's a link to the FAQ to see if there's anything else that can help determine the problem-> http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/techfaq.php

Howie

Post by Howie »

DustBuster wrote:Hi Howie,

Yours might be settings related. What do you have your screen resolution set to? I'm at 1280 x 1024 and have plenty of real estate. The technical FAQ states known issues with 800 x 600 and recommends 1024 x 768 minimum for best results. If that isn't it, here's a link to the FAQ to see if there's anything else that can help determine the problem-> http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/techfaq.php
Thanks and I will check that!!! Howie

annaz
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by annaz »

DustBuster wrote:Hi annaz,
I must apologize. Text conversation makes it difficult to convey the spirit behind some comments and I will try to keep that in mind and not generalize and concatenate ideas in the future... right after this:

Your design logic is perfectly sound and I am in total agreement with you.
I have web design experience and I applaud you all for a job well done. Utilizing a simple, tried-and-true, low tech, econimical and universally browser-friendly approach (JavaScript) is a stroke of genius in today's Internet circus of proprietary plug-ins or other unreliable cross-platrform programming.

I think I was unsettled at the thought of having to switch my mouse to my left hand. Have you ever tried to write with the opposite hand? Assuming you're not ambidextrous, you know what I mean. So I wondered if it would be easier (not just for me, but for other lefties) if the focusing bar were on the left; hence the flurry of statements.
What I should have done before the post is what I have done since- which is downloaded one of the tutorial focus movie pages, switched it to the left hand side and tried it out for myself. It made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Case closed. Request withdrawn. My boo-boo. But thank you to everyone for the comments.
Oh, and another rule I had overlooked: 'If it works, don't fix it'.
Hi DustBuster,

Thank you very much for your feedback. My aim is for the website to be user-friendly and I appreciate your feedback on both how it is now and your suggestions for it in the future. Personally, I wouldn’t mind allowing users to choose which side the focusing bar is on but with all the coding and other items that need to be done, it just wouldn’t be possible.

Perhaps it’s your mouse or the browser? Hopefully, it wouldn’t affect you too much during the actual Stardust Search and good luck!

Anna

Uno

Post by Uno »

I'm writing with my left hand since i can remember. But every other thing i do with my right hand. For example my parents gave me "lefthand-scissors" when i was young, but i could not work as good with it, as with "normal" scissors. I tried to write with the right hand several times, but my handwriting with left is difficult to read, so even myself could not really read the words i wrote with the right hand. ;)

perhaps because of that i don't have a problem with the scrollbar on the right, but i never thought about such things, even if some layouts of websites were not oriented as "normal".
A menu on the left or right side is no problem for me.

I think, if it is easy, to create a switch for the focusbar, and you have the time...why not...but its not really necessary