When should I use the "Bad Focus" button?

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hey Bryan,

What if the movies are dark, like this one?

I can see it all, but it is dark. Should we consider it "bad focus" or just view it like normal?
From dust we come
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Nikita wrote:Hey Bryan,

What if the movies are dark, like this one?

I can see it all, but it is dark. Should we consider it "bad focus" or just view it like normal?
Hi Nikita,

Though this one is dark, it is light enough to be able to search on my screen. But then, on different monitors with different contrast settings it may be too dark. So, sorry to say, but it's still a judgement call for you to make. :?

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

bmendez wrote:
Nikita wrote:Hey Bryan, what if the movies are dark...
Though this one is dark, it is light enough to be able to search on my screen...
I'd like to know why so many of the new movies do in fact appear so dark.

Meanwhile, if you have an LCD monitor like mine, tipping it forward 15-30 degrees can increase the perceived brightness/contrast. Similarly, if the movie seems too bright, subtle features can become more apparent if you tip it back. Presumably it's something to do with the liquid crystal properties, but I guess may vary according to screen model.
If you have a CRT monitor I've no idea what you can do.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

You know, pulling the blind helps too! :D
From dust we come
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

What are we looking at here? Are these all inclusions from one end of the focus range to the other? In order to verify the surface, I usually like to see some bumps or wrinkles or a field of crud. Is this a Bad Focus or a No Track? There are quite a few like this.
Star Gezzer

To rlcwic

Post by Star Gezzer »

I think I can help you out. If you focus up to surface dust then come down you see two specks come into focus one lower left and one mid right. The one lower left at coordinate 40-289 is a positive CM. If you focus in and out on those two the left one stays in focus longer.

That is a perfect example of several of the CM's. Two specks on the screen. Only one is right. It simulates the depth of what particle track may or may not look like
Star Gezzer

That said

Post by Star Gezzer »

It is only my opinion. I am just a duster.
fjgiie
DustMod

7608945V1

Post by fjgiie »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7608945V1
My guess on 7608945V1 -

It displayed using the events viewer so I think it is a real movie. The surface does not show for sure but looks like it could be at top focus or just a little higher.

Focus down about 1/4th of the way and three inclusions come into view on the left. Focus down about 2/3rds and they disappear and more come into view.

My guess would be first no track, and second bad focus. (probably wrong though) :(
rlcwik

VM 7608945V1

Post by rlcwik »

Fjgiie,

I would tend to agree with you. I’m not sure what Star Gezzer is looking at, it’s definitely not a Calibration Movie. I did give it a No Track, just because, and moved on.

BTW, I'm off to the Deming Duck Races tomorrow. You will have a good chance to catch me then. :)
tomas

Post by tomas »

I have had the same trouble. Hope for improvement.
reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

A think a couple of the things which I would appreciate seeing are some sort of bad focus calibration movies, and also something to aid determining the surface of sample for each movie, in terms of exactly where it is. There are some obvious intrinsic benefits to this.

I think I also need to be a little more patient on a few things :wink: