I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: CM 1362088V1

Post by bmendez »

BruceHull wrote:I clicked No Track on CM 1362088V1, and was scored a miss. I sure don't see a track in this movie.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1362088V1
Bruce,

That movie is a CM, but it is a blank one. So it is correct to select No Track. And checking the database I see that you have actually come across that CM 5 times and correctly answered it every time (including today). I'm guessing, but haven't been able to confirm that you probably missed one earlier in the day that did not properly update.

Thanks,
Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
fjgiie
DustMod

Bad CM or something

Post by fjgiie »

7 April 2008
At 11:20 am PST I clicked a cm at 156, 100 on CM 2516607V1 and received a miss. My score went down one and misses went up one. The next movie up had this url: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?156,100
As you can see there is a 156, 100 at the end of it.

Why did I get a miss? I only did about 5 or 6 movies when the miss came, nothing else to miss.

Thanks,

fjgiie
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Bad CM or something

Post by bmendez »

fjgiie wrote:7 April 2008
At 11:20 am PST I clicked a cm at 156, 100 on CM 2516607V1 and received a miss. My score went down one and misses went up one. The next movie up had this url: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?156,100
As you can see there is a 156, 100 at the end of it.

Why did I get a miss? I only did about 5 or 6 movies when the miss came, nothing else to miss.

Thanks,

fjgiie
Hi fjgiie,

That is truly bizarre. The database shows that you clicked "no track" on that movie at that time. I'll pass this on to Will and Robert to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
sbl

Missed calibration movie 6844203V1

Post by sbl »

I missed this calibration movie (6844203V1) and still can't find the track. Since I rarely get to do any stardusting now, I reviewed the tutorials again and still can't see it. A couple of features caught my eye initially but look the same as other pieces of dust or debris in the movie. I will appreciate anyone who can point to the track for me. sbl
Star Gezzer

CM

Post by Star Gezzer »

The positive CM is at 174-212
bebop

Post by bebop »

Hi Giusepedale1

Try this:

Bye
b
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

bebop wrote:Hi Giusepedale1

Try this:

Bye
b
Thanks bebop,

Unfortunately, Giusepedale1 was only a spammer.

-Bryan
- RUSH
dp

clip 3510750V1

Post by dp »

Help me out with this one.

I cant id the suspect

DP
fjgiie
DustMod

RE: clip 3510750V1

Post by fjgiie »

Hi dp,

Here is that movie if you are logged into the VM.
3510750V1

Here is a frame from that movie.

You will have to find the track yourself. (hint - near the middle)

fjgiie :) (That's just a CM anyhow and they are not that important)
Mikoto

Re: I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong

Post by Mikoto »

Hi, i just started on stardust today and i don't mind that i was scored incorrectly, however i don't think these 2 calibration movies inpaticular provide an accurate assessment so figured i'd post them.
Both took place on 17th December between the approximate time of 20:00-20:15 GMT
The first is ID: 3306156V1 (This movie appears to show 3 distinct viable tracks with widespread coordinates, despite the fact that you can only choose 1)
I believe the coordinates i clicked were 444,207
The second is ID: 7648463V (This movie appears to contain several dozen potential tracks, all similar in appearance. I cannot remember precisely where i clicked)
Thanks.
Mikoto

Post by Mikoto »

Oh heres another calibration movie which appears to have multiple potential tracks.. maybe i'm wrong.. they are small, but they're in focus below the surface (3,249--357,336--276,202--327,88) 23:10 GMT
Mikoto
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Hi Mikoto,

Thanks for your interest in Stardust@home and welcome! I looked at those movies in the database, and they have been scored correctly many times by many dusters. However, they are definitely tough ones, and the only hint I can provide is that they are very small compared to what else is on the screen. Otherwise patience and practice will, I'm sure, pay out in the end. Also, it never hurts to occasionally review the tutorial at http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... _start.php. You might also want to read other posts in this thread and look for similar examples.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope you stick with it!

Cheers,

Dan
Mikoto

Post by Mikoto »

Thanks Dan, my main concern is that if i'm getting these calibration movies wrong i may also be making mistakes on the real movies, i've come across 40 CM's so far and gotten 4 wrong, however on reviewing them i still can't find my mistake.. there seem to be several prominent tracks which all have their focal point below the surface of the gel even though there appears to be no obvious curvature of the surface, so how do i know which one is the correct one in the case of CM's? 3306156V1 is paticularly confusing for me, thanks.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Mikoto wrote:Thanks Dan, my main concern is that if i'm getting these calibration movies wrong i may also be making mistakes on the real movies, i've come across 40 CM's so far and gotten 4 wrong, however on reviewing them i still can't find my mistake.. there seem to be several prominent tracks which all have their focal point below the surface of the gel even though there appears to be no obvious curvature of the surface, so how do i know which one is the correct one in the case of CM's? 3306156V1 is paticularly confusing for me, thanks.
I'd say try to concentrate on things that focus more toward the bottom on 3306156V1. However, I've recently learned that there will be enough changes coming along (which you'll learn about in January) that you really shouldn't worry right now. In other words, whatever additional advice I could offer now would only hold true for another couple of months, and it might be better to leave you with an open mind. I think you'll enjoy 2010!

Dan
ndrw

movie 1522634V1

Post by ndrw »

Hello,

I notice that this is a calibration movie - I believe that there is indeed a track in this movie, however it marked me as having marked it incorrectly. I clicked almost exactly in the center of the hoop that seems to indicate a track... Could someone confirm or not whether this movie has a track towards the bottom right?

Regards,

Andrew