I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Pluk - despite my remarks above about misplaced tracks, I think your latest two are in fact OK.

Re: 5601418V1, coords 130/219: looks exactly right to me. If you really did click on it accurately, it must be an error in the database (unless you're using a magnifier, which has been reported before to send erroneous coordinates).

However, re: 2297302V1, coords 471,181 and 50,240: these are inclusions, only appearing subsurface and focussing over 2-3 frames.
The track is at 449,115. First of all it begins to appear at the surface. Although very slightly sloping, the surface is evidenced by the quickly in-&-out-of-focus dust particles at 46,110 and 335,270 for example, as well as various aerogel surface distortions (see endless, so far fruitless, debate about such triangles etc). The track, meanwhile continues in reasonable focus more or less to the bottom focus bar. Not to mention that large square 'frosted-glass' Photoshop pasting-artefact surrounding it, particular obvious toward the lowest bars.
BruceHull

CM 4797413V1

Post by BruceHull »

I clicked at 58,226 on CM 4797413V1 but was scored wrong.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4797413V1
Bruce
pluk

Post by pluk »

The simulated track of cm 7765301V1 at (391,336) appears to start well above the surface.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hello pluk,

Sorry to not have responded sooner to your queries. I've been otherwise occupied or absent for the past couple of weeks...

It looks like a a few of your "incorrect" misses were likely due to the strange delayed scoring problem. In some of the cases you did in fact click on the right track, but you missed movies previous to that and the score wasn't immediately updated at that point.

In other cases you running into the same problems that we are having on the science team with the candidates. Inclusions or tracks? In several cases we will probably not know until we've extracted and analyzed a sample (which will hopefully happen within the next couple of months).

The CMs are far from perfect, but they are still serving their intended purpose quite well on the whole. They were indeed made from a few of the candidates, and they were made by an automated code (as were the phase 1 CMs). So there are occasional oddities.

As we start to learning more about the candidates we'll make new CMs for phase 3.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
innadeeps

Movie id: 6215540V1

Post by innadeeps »

After my decision that there should be no track i´ve got a negative mark :?: So there should be a track in it but i cannot see it! So is it possible that anyone can show me where this track is learning more to identy some difficult ones. Or could it be a bug in your or my system? Thanks in advance!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Movie id: 6215540V1

Post by bmendez »

innadeeps wrote:After my decision that there should be no track i´ve got a negative mark :?: So there should be a track in it but i cannot see it! So is it possible that anyone can show me where this track is learning more to identy some difficult ones. Or could it be a bug in your or my system? Thanks in advance!

Hello.

No, no bug. But it is a very small feature, just left of the middle of the field of view.

It is a very difficult one to see, but most people seem to be finding it.

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
fjgiie
DustMod

Nearly invisible track

Post by fjgiie »

I clicked No Track on this movie and got a miss.

5133556V1
jsmaje

Re: Nearly invisible track

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote:I clicked No Track on this movie and got a miss.
5133556V1
185, 202. Tiny, so easy to miss - looks like a speck of dust on the monitor screen, but wrongly pasted yet again, starting well above the surface.
If you actually saw it, but dismissed it as a result of looking like an artefact, then I think you should have been rewarded rather than penalised.
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

Okay, here we are in early February and I haven’t had a problem for months. At least not since you cleaned out the bad Cms in early October, Thank you for that. I see that since early December no one else has either . That’s good.
Just now however: Feb. 03, 08 at 8:35 PM Pacific time I ran into a strange occurrence with CM 5358718V1. This is an obvious CM so I don’t think I’m giving much away here but I clicked at 337,283 and got dinged with a No Track -1,-1????
I keep two windows open to compensate for load time and I see in the left window that the OK button pops up right over the No Track button. I also have my pointer set to go to the default button in a dialog box. So I normally just double click once on the artifact and then on OK. This has never caused problems in the past, to the best of my knowledge, but is it possible something got tangled up there?
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

rlcwik wrote:Okay, here we are in early February and I haven’t had a problem for months. At least not since you cleaned out the bad Cms in early October, Thank you for that. I see that since early December no one else has either . That’s good.
Just now however: Feb. 03, 08 at 8:35 PM Pacific time I ran into a strange occurrence with CM 5358718V1. This is an obvious CM so I don’t think I’m giving much away here but I clicked at 337,283 and got dinged with a No Track -1,-1????
I keep two windows open to compensate for load time and I see in the left window that the OK button pops up right over the No Track button. I also have my pointer set to go to the default button in a dialog box. So I normally just double click once on the artifact and then on OK. This has never caused problems in the past, to the best of my knowledge, but is it possible something got tangled up there?
Hi rlcwik,

Are you sure about that movie #? I've looked it up in our database and can find nothing with that number.

-Bryan
- RUSH
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

bmendez wrote:
rlcwik wrote:Okay, here we are in early February and I haven’t had a problem for months. At least not since you cleaned out the bad Cms in early October, Thank you for that. I see that since early December no one else has either . That’s good.
Hi rlcwik,

Are you sure about that movie #? I've looked it up in our database and can find nothing with that number.

-Bryan
You are right, the movie number is 4358718V1. Fat fingers and poor proofing. Sorry about that.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

rlcwik wrote:
bmendez wrote:
Hi rlcwik,

-Bryan
You are right, the movie number is 4358718V1. Fat fingers and poor proofing. Sorry about that.
Hi rlcwik,

The coordinates you give are correct for the track in that movie, but the database did indeed record that you clicked "no track." So it sounds like it may have been user error as you suspected.

All the best,
-Bryan
- RUSH
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

Okay, thank you for checking.

As a precaution I have shifted the window on the screen so that now when the ‘OK’ button pops up it is in a clear field between the movie and the other buttons.

I can’t be sure, but I think it may have happened again a few days later. I was going merrily along when I suddenly noticed my ‘Missed” number had gone up. When I went back to check the only one I could find was another obvious CM that I know I had clicked on.

Not sure what is going on, but it seems to be cool so far with the precaution mentioned above.

BTW, I have never seen the phenomenon you mentioned earlier. Something about delay response for updating your score. As far as I can determine, everything except your position in the standings updates immediately.

Thanks again.
BruceHull

CM 1362088V1

Post by BruceHull »

I clicked No Track on CM 1362088V1, and was scored a miss. I sure don't see a track in this movie.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1362088V1
Bruce
jsmaje

Re: CM 1362088V1

Post by jsmaje »

BruceHull wrote:I clicked No Track on CM 1362088V1, and was scored a miss. I sure don't see a track in this movie.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1362088V1
Me neither. Not 432,85 surely?