"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fjgiie
DustMod

Two µm Track?

Post by fjgiie »

Movie 5503742V1

There is not much we can say about this movie with the tools we dusters have. It is unusual in that the spot remains in focus for 16 or more frames; frame 23 through frame 39. Here is all I can say:

The frames from #23 to #39 seem to be different frames and not the same frame. There should be no reason for the microscope not to be continuing on down with each frame.

The size of the spot is approximately two microns (2 µm) in diameter and 48 to 74 microns deep or long in the focus movie. (16 frames times 3 µm and 16 frames times 4.65 µm - the 4.65 comes from 200 microns of movie divided by 43 frames)

The IS particle that would make a track this small must be very tiny, maybe less than 0.2 microns. Hey! can we use a one tenth micron IS particle of dust that may be in twenty pieces? We better keep it here as it may get lost in the hand if we send it to a scientist in Kiangsu province. :oops:
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

the frames are different all the way down as is the spot. Try viewing the movie using ms magnifier. not easy but it does show the frames differ.
The spot itself..?? it does not seem to focus at all i.e it never gets sharp. imho there is no trace of a track above it so i'd go for inclusion.
Just dusting... Image
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

So Wolter,

Using the ms magnifier, do you ever see the surface? Could this just be something on the surface and we never get to it?
From dust we come
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Regarding fjgiie's 404198V1 and the above discussion of the moon's 5503742V1:
There's always the danger that magnifying a pixel image without any commensurate increase in its resolution (and here such factors as depth of focus) will only magnify one's original, quite possibly faulty, preconception :!:
the moon

Post by the moon »

Wolter wrote:the frames are different all the way down as is the spot. Try viewing the movie using ms magnifier. not easy but it does show the frames differ.
The spot itself..?? it does not seem to focus at all i.e it never gets sharp. imho there is no trace of a track above it so i'd go for inclusion.
What ever it is, it isn't an inclusion or it would go out of focus as fast as it comes in to focus. And there is a track above it, the part of the track in the middle focus is above the part of the track in the bottom focus.

Hopefully this will eventually get reviewed by the team. It's 83/4, so it should get rescaned, it would have been viewed over 300 times so most people are hitting bad focus. Even if it is rescanned though I'm afraid the same thing will happen. It's too small for most people to click it.
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

I used the magnification only to show that it are indeed different slides on each step. My conclusion that there is o track is based on the fact that the circular feature above the dot exactly matches those above inclusions. Just an out of focus reflection of the inclusion. It lacks the darkened edges expected from the higher density an impact bubble would have.
Just dusting... Image
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

star2steerby

Post by star2steerby »

elainekeefe wrote:In the "what the heck is this?" category: Too big and close to the surface to be a stardust track, but looks to me like a track of some kind. Am I way off base here? Didn't click on it, but didn't want to completely disregard, so here it is.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9803786V1
Interesting! Call it a possible idp "archipelago". Looks a bit like Hawaii. Do you suppose that with all the possible angles of intersection, an impacting idp might "skip" across and just below the aerogel surface? Perhaps after some kind of ricochet with an inclusion?
Everything reminds me of everything else
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

__Movie 3648195V1__116_______6____________Indeterminate

__Do you think that top edge stays around long enough?
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Well i would not hold your breath. It seems very much on the surface, more of a dent then a track.
Just dusting... Image
tiggertim

Interesting track

Post by tiggertim »

This movies seem interesting, one of very few I have seen that shows a ring below the surface. More focus depth would help too.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6840488V1

So far 11/24 have clicked on it.

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
the moon

Post by the moon »

Wow that's by far the biggest sunken triangle formation I've seen. It even has a raised wall of gel around it, as if it was caused by a quick expansion of gas (mini-explosion) under the gel's surface. I'd guess this example will be very helpful for the team to figure out what causes these formations.

No track though. The ring is just debri at the bottom of the hole. You can clearly see other debri at the same focus depth as it.
cthiker

How about...

Post by cthiker »

Take a look...

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4938343V1

This is, far and away, the closest I've seen to the (supposed) "real" thing - yet only about 30% seem to agree (20 of 64, as of this post...unfortunately I'm #20 :cry: ). What's cool is that there is no appreciable change that I can tell over the last 5-6 frames (just so you know, I'm looking at the spot about 3/5's the way down, and centered left-right in the VM). It also suffers from some of the same 'surface' distortions present in the CMs...indeed, I was shocked when my Correct count did not increment after viewing it. Nonetheless, I can imagine it being a vertically-displaced oblong inclusion set out to dash our hopes and dreams..........but....... :roll:

Thoughts??

Thanks, and happy dusting!!
greuti

Post by greuti »

Yeah, looks really good! Can imagine that you was shocked :)

The first part of the track, just beneath the surface, looks slightly different to the one in the CMs - otherwise, I would say it looks exactly the way as a tiny track have to appear over several frames.
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

That movie does not look like a typical calibration movie to me, so I think it must be real if it is something, and not just a mislabeled movie.