A possible new problem I am Having,,,Please Reply

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

A possible new problem I am Having,,,Please Reply

Post by Howie »

The last couple days, when searching, my computer slows down, but the hard drive is working like crazy!!!

Also have to keep hitting refresh cause the next movie does not load???

Anyone else getting this lately???

Please reply!!!

Howie
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Have you tried clearing your temporary internet files (cache) or have you reloaded/restored/changed anything else since you noticed the problem?
fflo

Re: A possible new problem I am Having,,,Please Reply

Post by fflo »

Howie wrote:The last couple days, when searching, my computer slows down, but the hard drive is working like crazy!!!

Also have to keep hitting refresh cause the next movie does not load???

Anyone else getting this lately???

Please reply!!!

Howie
I have the same experience since I got Internet Explorer 7 recently, but only with this browser. My Netscape Browser, which I use simultaneously, at the same time behaves normal!??

fflo
Howie

What I have done about the problem...

Post by Howie »

I have noticed a very big change in searching by...

deleting the google tool bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and anything else related to google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Google for sure monitors things!!! I am sure!!!

Howie
tiggertim

Post by tiggertim »

I have the same experience since I got Internet Explorer 7 recently, but only with this browser. My Netscape Browser, which I use simultaneously, at the same time behaves normal!?
Avoid using Internet Explorer 7, it a horrid nasty piece of work from Microsnot! It kills about 50% of network traffic and network programs.

BE WARNED

You can roll back to IE6 and download a patch to stop IE7.

Hopefully this helps as well.

Cheers,

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
Howie

HERE IS A NEW PROBLEM I AM HAVING???

Post by Howie »

The last 2 days, viewing movies, at good speed...then I notice the first movie starts loading slow all of a sudden!
I can continue at this pace, but I try to go to tools and delete the temp Internet file and it won't let me??? Says my settings won't allow???

Then, something closes explorer!!! Then, nothing works, and I have to restart computer. Check for virus and none found? Computer works on everything else, till I go back to search and runs for awhile and does it again?

Anyone else getting this???

Thanks,
Howie
oaklea

I'm getting something similar

Post by oaklea »

I've had a similar problem for the last few days as well.

Everything is working well and then it starts to load very slowly and then it locks up IE. If I close and then reopen IE it will continue to work for a while and start the odd behavior a few minutes later.

I've tried to just refresh the page, but that doesn't seem to help anything.
In my case it hasn't gotten to the point of locking the entire computer, just IE.

It does seem to happen about the same time each night. I'm in U.S. Central time and it seems to happen about midnight here. I thought perhaps they were doing some work on the site and that was causing the problem.

Oak
Howie

Thanks for the reply..........

Post by Howie »

I installed a 2nd virus program, AVG FREE, and when problem occurs, AVG says there is a missing shell extension??? I am checking this out at the moment and will post if I find answer. I set AVG to auto fix the problem, and will see what happens, otherwise checking on deactivating the missing dll extension, which I found using PC PitStop as a file called,
ctmon.exe???

More Later
Howie
Howie

Answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fix,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Info

Post by Howie »

ctfmon.exe
Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 9:27 pm
Posted by DocCrain (147 messages posted)

Since the release of IE7, I have noticed an increase in the number of posts in many
forums complaining about unexplained slowness, hanging, and freezing, as well as
many more complaints about high unexplained CPU readings. IE7 activated a minor
"Office" process that has to do with voice, handwriting, and language text switching
called ctfmon.exe. This is the Microsoft info page on ctfmon:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=282599
I found it confusing and occult at best. In plain language, ctfmon, once started
always returns at boot even if disabled in msconfig unless removed according to the
linked instructions OR by turning off "Advanced Text Services." This choice does
not prevent the other functions of ctfmon from functionality in Office when needed,
but does stop this often resource demanding process from starting with Windows and
running continuously.

Important note: The Windows ctfmon.exe lives in the system32 folder. There are malwares
that use the same name, notably ctfmon32. These will be found elsewhere. When in
doubt-get help.

To stop ctfmon from autostarting and running all the time:
Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details>Advanced,
and check the box that says "Turn off advanced text services."

Many users report many fewer "unexplained" problems after taking this action, and
it can be easily reversed by simply unchecking the same box.
Last edited by Howie on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

It worked Fantastic for Me!!!

Post by Howie »

Not onely my main computer but the other 2 that have with all 3 Newest XP and IE7...!!!

Plus the speed of loading movies went way up,,,PLUS,,,the Hard Drive barely sounds like it is working hard all the time in the background!!!

Tested for almost an hour without a hitch, except that Java Error!

This may also be a great FIX (answer for) everyone having slow loading problems!!!

Mainly IE7!!!

Forgot to say it speeded up other functions on my computer and the Internet!!!

Sincerely,
Howie
Howie

See My Ther Latest Post!!!

Post by Howie »

Another possible Fix for Slowness and Hangups, and Hard Drive working so hard!!!

Click Here for my other newest Post!!!

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 2266#12266

Sincerely,
Howie
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

great research Howie, thanks for the tip.

(and i won't begin over enhanced functionality within ms products...) ;)
Just dusting... Image
Howie

Post by Howie »

Wolter wrote:great research Howie, thanks for the tip.

(and i won't begin over enhanced functionality within ms products...) ;)

THANK YOU!!! and I hope everyone sees it, since I added to the other posts too see this one!!!
There is no doubt that MS has messed up some things that they are not fixing on Updates for their products, without having to search for answers all over the internet!

Howie
Howie

More Info on Possible Slow Running Movies!!!

Post by Howie »

Hi All,

To restate some tips on slow viewing from other posts in the past, I will try to sumarize here for some of you that may have missed them!

Many people do not realize the information saved on your computer when you use it, especially when on the internet!
Information like, Cookies, Temporary Internet Files and History Files, can use up all your computer memory and or, Hard Drive Space!

If you do not ever delete these files, you most likely have thousands of files taking up space! You must delete these files every now and then!

Here is an example...
To view one screen loading both movies on Stardust site, adds about 100 objects to the temp internet file folder...which means if you are on the site for about an hour, you can have, approx. 15,ooo objects in that file!

I have worked on some computers that were not cleaned up for a year???

I clean and delete these files everyday and especially after using Stardust!

Depending on the age of your computer and the way you connect, this can reallyyyyyyy slow you down. You must clean up your computer regularly depending on use! Also regularly you should do a cleaup and defrag on your Hard Drive.

Have someone help you if you do not know how or check the internet, do a search for "temp internet files help", there is alot of help out there!

Sincerally,
Howie
Howie

HERE IS ANOTHER POSSIBLE FIX FOR SLOWNESS AND OR HANGUPS

Post by Howie »

If you have "Picture It" on your computer, You most likely have "Media Manager" also! This program was hanging my internet off and on! Found this out by using administrative tools and the logs showed I kept hanging cause of Media Manager! You can have Picture It without Media Manager!
My Media Manager was set to update every half hour! That is about when I would get a problem viewing Stardust Movies! You may want to try this first before going to the below site and just try turning it off!!! By...

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Media Manager.
3. On the Indexer tab, at the bottom there is a button that reads Stop Indexer. Click the button, and then click OK.

Go Hear if you want to remove Media Manager!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181851

Sincerely,
Howie