"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fjgiie
DustMod

Bad Focus

Post by fjgiie »

Rojer wrote:In the low left corner, it seems to be a part of low angle track.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=872916V1

Humm... after further review. :) This focus movie is very close to being bad focus. I cannot see anything below the surface.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Rojer:

It's a scratch. The other one going the other direction is a crack. These low contrast ones are deadly. Like looking threw morning coffee with cream. Large tracks like that will be perfectly strait. That is not the case here.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Low angle particle that fragmented? (ice?)

The surface comes into focus at the same level, but the spidering channels at the bottom left come into focus in steps below the nanofoam gel (like it's going deeper).

Movie 8513043V1

Interesting if nothing else.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Got to love it. 222 views and a single vote, me.

Pay particular attention below the surface.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7192623V1

Maybe it tough to see small, I just tried, but below the surface for once I see a perfectly in focus air sphere developing down at the bottom. Every other one I found was out of focus. Too bad it's right on the edge of the movie. Don't matter though I clicked first. Unless sombody beat me to it on a different movie. No not center, bottom of the movie.
Last edited by Mighty Pete on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fjgiie
DustMod

First to Mark

Post by fjgiie »

Hey Mighty Pete,

You did the same thing I did... you marked a blank movie just to be the first to mark ! (just kidding)
You mean right in the center don't you? Bottom right of center? I will withhold my judgement until later.

And slow down at the VM,

fjgiie
Howie

You guys are Killin me!!!

Post by Howie »

fjgiie and Mighty Pete...

Pete's movie I see only one spot he is talking about...

Very Bottom left of center come in and out of focus...

NOT right of center ??? Unless your screen is in Reverse ???

OR my screen is in reverse ???

.........Pete...........I do not think it is a track, only my opinion ...
krawa

sooo

Post by krawa »

hey, what about this? upper right

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6084787V1

it could be on the surface, BUT it shows some depth AND the surface is sloped there anyway (very top never comes to focus...or I'm blind :roll: ).
but now as I think of it....this would be really extremely low angle...maybe something from the probe itself
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Krawa:

That is a interesting one. I would have marked it also cause you can't tell right now what it is. You need more of the top view to figure it out. We don't have that info so gets my vote as in needs a second closer look.

Howie:

There is only one spot on the bottom left, did I give directions? Anyway the thing is we keep clicking on calibration movies of a fake track,well are real one that has been obliterated by jpg compression but the thing is I just though what would it actually look like if you could see it for real. A perfect bubble in focus under the surface. That thing I found is that object but you can only see half of it. Again now we need the bottom movie to confirm it. It's the only in focus under surface bubble I've seen so far in 30,000 movies I've viewed. Viewed large it fits the bill of a track. It's hard to see properly small.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Mighty Pete wrote:Got to love it. 222 views and a single vote, me.

Pay particular attention below the surface.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7192623V1

Maybe it tough to see small, I just tried, but below the surface for once I see a perfectly in focus air sphere developing down at the bottom. Every other one I found was out of focus. Too bad it's right on the edge of the movie. Don't matter though I clicked first. Unless sombody beat me to it on a different movie. No not center, bottom of the movie.
Of the seven items I can see on that movie, 3 are Stooges, 2 are small points left of dead center /1 at right, and one large item above "100 Microns" that would be impossible to miss, so I will assume you are talking about the large item. It seems to come into focus about 1/2 way down in the bars and then goes out of focus as you continue to focus down- if the item stays in focus for you, maybe you are experiencing the problem described here- but according to the experts and the training, a track will not be visible above the surface at any time and there will be very little indication of entry at the surface of the nanofoam gel.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

You're missing it, there is a spot on the surface near the bottom. I'm not talking about the spot. It's the glass bubble under the surface under that spot. The spot could be where it hit. Can't tell you need the bottom movie. It's hard to see small cause I tried. There is a perfect in focus bubble that forms under that spot (it's a big bubble )as you go down into the glass. Whatever hit here should be on the bottom movie. You are looking at the side of a track About less than half is visible.

Just a extra note. That darkish ring you see in calibration movies will not exist on these movies if they don't increase the contrast. it will be clearish soap bubble looking. We can on some movies see the transparency of the glass. There will be nothing to make it dark. It will be just like a soap bubble.

Look at how high they had the contrast where they got the track from and look at these movies. The originals are almost black and white. These are grayish. You will not get a black ring or dark ring around a hit mark on these movies. The calibration tracks are darker that any other dark object on the movie, that will not happen. Hence find the in focus soap bubble below the surface. I found one. Too bad you can't see the entire object.

Mmm started having my doubts so I copied that movie and zoomed in on that spot 1200 X, There is something there. There is a bubble there. It's the only bubble I've seen so far.
Last edited by Mighty Pete on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rojer

Re: Bad Focus

Post by Rojer »

fjgiie wrote:
Humm... after further review. :) This focus movie is very close to being bad focus. I cannot see anything below the surface.
Mighty Pete wrote: Rojer:

It's a scratch. The other one going the other direction is a crack. These low contrast ones are deadly. Like looking threw morning coffee with cream. Large tracks like that will be perfectly strait. That is not the case here.
Thanks!
Oh! Where is my dust?! :mrgreen:
Wish you can understand my English. :)
looping

Post by looping »

Hello everybody, I'm new on this forum...
After more than 3500 real movies viewed, I've found something I haven't seen before.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=354795V1 (in white near, to the center)
22 view
1 click :arrow: I am very excited, maybe stupidly ?

Does somebody have an idea ?!?

Ps: Sorry for my english level, I'm french :wink:
Howie

Welcome and Hi

Post by Howie »

That would be a Bad Focus movie and not clear enough for a track find...
fjgiie
DustMod

What is it?

Post by fjgiie »

Bonjour looping,
looping wrote:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=354795V1 (in white near, to the center)
22 view
1 click I am very excited, maybe stupidly ?

Does somebody have an idea ?!?

Here is my guess. Please take a look at this tutorial movie:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_number=4
Could your object be a piece of dust that is on the surface?

Mercie beaucoup

fjgiie
ps: Sil vous plait forgive my françois, I am South Carolinaian :D
looping

Post by looping »

Salut fjgiie

Maybe but the thing on "my" movie is not so bright than a dust. But it's white, I agree :?

:cry:

Did you find a track ? After how many movies viewed ?