Third Thursday Telecons

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Need to Move January's Thursday Telecon to Friday

Post by DanZ »

Happy New Year Everyone!

Sorry for the late notice, but we need to MOVE this month's Third Thursday Telecon to Friday January 22nd. Everything else remains the same, including time (11am US Pacific) and the call-in number, which is 1-866-740-1260. When prompted, please enter the passcode 6422969 followed by the # (pound) key. If you need a number from outside the US, please enter 6422969 at the website here to retrieve the correct international toll-free phone number to dial. You can also check your own corresponding time using the World Clock converter.

Finally, if you have specific questions you would like to submit, please do so here/now.

Thanks much - we're looking forward to our next conversation with you all!

Dan
caprarom

Re: Third Thursday Telecons

Post by caprarom »

Welcome back, Dan. Hope your recovery last month was quick and complete. I believe the main topic for Friday was going to be Dr. Westphal's highlights from the American Geophysical Union meeting, but we'd certainly be interested in the status of the new site for Cornell's Alzheimer's Disease investigation, and the status of those new aerogel tile movies as well. Mike
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Excellent Mike, thank you! I'll be sure to remind him of the AGU report and ask for the other updates as well. The surgery went as planned but I'm still healing. It was around the eye, a very sensitive area, so it's all progressing a bit sluggishly unfortunately. But no major complications, so in general, all is good. I appreciate your asking and we'll talk with you soon! Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Ummm, I missed the telecon on Friday -January 22. Charleston, WV was in the midst of a bad snow storm. We topped out at 18 inches, so it wasn't as bad as the rest of Eastern states. Will a transcript of the telecon be posted? Was there any news on the Cornell's Alzheimer's Disease investigation? Am eagerly waiting to begin that program. Thanks, ERSTRS (SmithES)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Ummm, I missed the telecon on Friday -January 22. Charleston, WV was in the midst of a bad snow storm. We topped out at 18 inches, so it wasn't as bad as the rest of Eastern states. Will a transcript of the telecon be posted? Was there any news on the Cornell's Alzheimer's Disease investigation? Am eagerly waiting to begin that program. Thanks, ERSTRS (SmithES)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Glad to hear you survived the big storm ERSTRS! The Alzheimer's investigation was indeed discussed among many other things. The recording is now posted here. Enjoy! Dan
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Thanks for a very interesting Telecon (surely not TelecoM as headed?!), though the Alzheimer's project seems so much more complicated and uncertain then even Stardust. Can we have more info please, from Cornell in particular?

A lot is already known about capillary pathology and circulatory disturbance in AD, e.g: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26665235, and I presume the Cornell project is regarding whether this leads to permanent blockages (even normal capillaries will intermittently block, given their similar diameter to the red cells and all the rest squeezing through!)
I can't find any mention of this aspect of their research on their present Alzheimer's research web pages though.

John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Glad you're enjoying the recorded telecons John (though my computer keeps trying to auto-correct these to telecom - not sure which is right anymore!). I know Dr. Westphal is flying to Cornell later this month to give a presentation and gather more info as well. I'll see if we can get him to say more in tomorrow's call. Please join us if you can! The start time as usual is 11am US Pacific, and the call-in number is 1-866-740-1260. When prompted, please enter the passcode 6422969 followed by the # (pound) key. If you need a number from outside the US, please enter 6422969 at the website here to retrieve the correct international toll-free phone number to dial. You can also check your own corresponding time using the World Clock converter.

Finally, if you have specific questions you would like to submit, please do so here/now.

Until tomorrow!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Change of Plan for March - Telecon on Thursday March 24th

Post by DanZ »

Hi Everyone. This is just a heads up that the Telecon for March 2016 has been moved to the FOURTH Thursday, March 24th. Everything else remains the same, and as usual, I'll post a reminder here a day or so out. Dan
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Dan, re your and your spell-checker's confusion:

As I understand it, 'Telecon' is short for telephone conference, while 'Telecom' is short for telephone communications (here in the UK the major phone utility is called 'British Telecom' - BT).
The first is more appropriate to this situation, so I suggest you cast a new spell on your computer!

Looking forward to hearing more detail about the Cornell project,
John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

You got it John! It used to drive me crazy but I started to think the computer must be smarter than I am. :lol: I'll be consistent from here on out and use Telecon. Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Need to Reschedue March 2016 Telecon

Post by DanZ »

Hi Everyone. We need to move this month's Telecon to either Friday March 25th at 11am PDT, or to next week, Thursday March 31st at 11am PDT. This is because Dr. Westphal is currently at a conference in Houston. But he's eager to share some new information with you all (including a report from the Rosetta team who are also at the conference), so please let me know asap which date you prefer for the rescheduled time. Thank you! Dan
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

I started to think the computer must be smarter than I am.
O, that way madness lies; let me shun that;
No more of that.

King Lear Act 3, scene 4, 17–22
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, since the 25th is Good Friday, I'll be tied up at church at that time. So, I would vote for the 31st. Regards,
Mike C.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

That's a "good" point! We'll probably go with the 31st then. Thanks. Dan