Possible Dead Ringers?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

O'Henry

Possible Dead Ringers?

Post by O'Henry »

As a new public member to the group, I am still trying to get a handle on what I am looking for when it comes to designating a particle track as being a prime candidate for Stardust sainthood. For example, the following two listed movies, #8234098v1 and #2736932v1 appear, for all intents and purposes, as being worthy of particle track candidate consideration. To me they each look precisely like classic Stardust track candidates. The only thing slightly out-of-whack may be the size of the particle, from my view. Both were rejected, however, as not being worthy particle track candidates. I wonder if someone would be so kind as to indicate whether these possible particle track candidates are rejected because of their large appearing particle size or for some other unbeknownst reason? To those advanced "dusters" I apologize for what may be thought of as taking-up valuable bandwidth with a picayunish question. Thanks.
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Possible Dead Ringers?

Post by fjgiie »

Movie 8234098V1

Movie 2736932V1

Hi O'Henry,

You mean these two movies did not show up on you events list, correct?
Both movies are calibration movies and if you click them in the right place you get a point but they do not show up on your events list as they have already been found. :)

fjgiie
O'Henry

Post by O'Henry »

Hi fjgiie,

Thanks for responding to what may turn-out to have been a skewered question.

One of the movie titles I've cited was misread from a running tally.

Seems I've made something of a small mistake by incorrectly referencing one movie I did not mean to.

The first movie cited, #8234098V1 was, however, correctly one of the movies I meant to make reference to. If you look at it you can see the obvious comet shaped track of a possible particle in the two O'clock position, moving from the mid-section of the photomicrograph toward the outer edge. I thought I pegged this track as a keeper (a possible "candidate"). But unless I am mistaken, my clicking upon it as a possible candidate was declined by the Stardust gods. (who are those masked gods, anyway?)

The second movie was mislabled by me. It is not #2736932V1 but rather #9418294V1 (I believe) that I meant. In any event, it also was declined by the Stardust gods as being "incorrectly" indicated in the negative tally by my clicking on the track in what I thought of as a positive way. Again, I thought I pegged this track as a keeper (a possible "candidate"), too.

It may be that the potential track on #9418294V1 is also a larger than average potential track candidate. I notice that most bona-fide particle track candidates are rather quite tinier, don't you think?.

Incidentally, that's a neat trick how you conjured-up those tracks from mid-air, as it were. (!!!)

But, then, with such a curious name as "fjgiie", I suppose anything's possible.

Best wishes,

O'Henry
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

...lets talk about Movie 8234098V1 first.

From the first movie of the turorial, we find this written:
To identify a track (this is really important) click on the deepest part of it that you can see (i.e., where you think the track stops or where it goes off the edge of the movie), even if it is out of focus.

Look again at that movie. You must click the deepest part which is the second spot after the comet tail, not the head of the comet. We have discussed that movie here on the forum several times. Or one similar to it. If you click the head of the comet, you get an incorrect answer and lose a point.
---------------------------------

Movie 9418294V1

That's the same track - you must click the small dot to the right of the comet head, the last dot left to right.

as for conjuring up a movie, any movie, just substitute the movie number into another movie URL.

my pseudonym is Fred Jacob Gray II Esquire thus fjgiie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

my pseudonym is Fred Jacob Gray II Esquire thus fjgiie
And what a pretty boy he iswas!
A dead ringer for his father.