Tracks

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

gebils

Tracks

Post by gebils »

I have (or may not have) a problem with types or kinds of tracks. Off Track, High Angle of Attack, Orion - 12 o'clock off track. Are these classifications important to me for the job that I have. If so please explain. I understand that the Orion pattern is of current importance but I do not know why the 12 o'clock set up is important. Right now I sort of think that any pattern I can identify, no matter what its relationship to anything else, is of importance; however, maybe I need to know more or maybe not. Thank You
DanZ
Site Admin

Re: Tracks

Post by DanZ »

You're right gebils, these are details that do not need to be understood in complete detail to be able to search. In fact, thinking about them too much could even hinder your search effort! The names are mainly about the direction from which the particles came before they entered the aerogel. You can find out more in the video update at: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ispe_update/#six

But what you really want to keep in mind as you search is an image of the type of tracks we are looking for, as represented in the tutorial here.

If this doesn't help, let me know.

Otherwise, thanks for being part of the program!

Dan
gebils

Post by gebils »

This helps a lot Dan. Nice to know that my head is still screwed on straight. Thanks
gebils

Post by gebils »

Dan I just viewed the video that you highlighted for me and I thought you would like to know that I absolutely, perfectly and entirely understand everything which was said. Now if you believe that I have some outstanding property in Arizona that is for sale. LOL.

For me the educated, complicated and important approaches to this endeavor are a bit high and out of reach. What I enjoy about this is the real possibility of finding organic matter in interstellar dust. Our horizon will expand a couple of notches when that happens. Maybe I can contribute a little in that effort. Thanks Again
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

No problem gebils, we're so glad to have you on the team. And frankly, I don't understand every bit of the science either!

Happy dusting,

Dan