Is there any Gel left?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DiamondGirl

Is there any Gel left?

Post by DiamondGirl »

Okay - I'm on a question roll today. :)

It's entirely possible this info is somewhere, but I searched high and low and couldn't find it, so...

Does anyone know, is there any Gel left? And what I mean is, I see the pictures of real tracks and particles that were found in Phase 1, and they seem to cover a lot of sections. I also re-read the info on Phase 2, and didn't see any specific info on whether Phase 2 is just a rescan of sections that were listed as "bad focus" in Phase 1, or if there are any new slides (never viewed before).

I'm sure that even if they were all viewed before to some extent, there's still a real possibility there's more to find, especially with how many blurry slides I remember going through (and am still getting - Phase 3 in the future?), but I still find myself wondering what my odds are now. Do I need to find the needle in the already dug-through haystack, or do we still have fresh piles that we're getting? :)

I'm having a bad hair day, so I really need to know.
Is there any Gel left?
;-)

--DiamondGirl
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

There's stil lot's of fresh gel coming our way in phase 2 so don't worry about missed changes.

As you can read here phase 1 covered about 1/3 of the collector. So still plenty to go for.
Just dusting... Image
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Wolter wrote:As you can read here phase 1 covered about 1/3 of the collector. So still plenty to go for.
Thanks, Wolter! :)
I swear I looked everywhere but just couldn't find that one.

So do we know where progress is now? I know we used to have a shaded picture that showed which were done which were left, but I haven't seen that in a while.

--DG
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

I have not seen such a graphic for phase 2 yet no. Seeing the latest update from phase 1 i guess that that is still in the pipeline. Migrating to phase 2 as well as the holidays have taken their toll on the resources ;) furthermore the same people responsible for running phase 2 are buzy on developping the next steps needed in the process. Extraction of promissing candidates.

So i think it still might take some time before the regular scanning progress update will commense.
Just dusting... Image
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi,

Here is a new page we created for Phase 2 to show what parts of the collector have been scanned and have data available for dusting: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... ngnews.php

There are some rescans of phase 1 tiles that were bad the first time around in phase 2. So there are indeed some unsearched piles of hay. And in the high resolution movies it's more like looking back through the haystack with a magnifying glass because it turns out that the needle may be much smaller than we originally thought.

And yes, there will be a Phase 3 when we start scanning the rest of the collector tray.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH