Update: 1 Dec 06 - Getting a Better Look at the Collector

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

greuti

Update: 1 Dec 06 - Getting a Better Look at the Collector

Post by greuti »

Thanks for the progress report!
Recently, Ron Bastien and Jack Warren at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) acquired about 600 high-resolution focus movies of candidate extraterrestrial tracks in the Stardust Interstellar Dust Collector, identified by our Stardust@home collaborators. Each movie is larger than 100 Megabytes! We are now going through these movies at Berkeley.
Wow, must be great and hopefully fruitful to have that view on (into) them.
Can not control myself and have to ask this question: Is there a possibility to us to download these images from each movie (or at least one of them)? They needn't to be loadable with the present Virtual Microscope - only be available in JPEG, PNG, or GIF format and relatable among each other.
and we have made a new discovery: an apparent "swarm" of tracks that enter the collector nearly parallel to the surface. This is probably due to an impact somewhere on the collector. We will be tracking this down in the coming weeks.
Would you say they look similar to one of the low angle tracks that we have found in the collector so far? http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1458
the moon

Post by the moon »

I thought the update was pretty confusing. I thought all the focus movies are originally in high-resolution when taken by the microscope, then later they're compressed for us.

Also they say they were looking at canidate tracks that we had marked, so those tracks that enter parallel to the surface could only be the type people posted in that low angle tracks topic. So what's new about the discovery and why did they need higher resolution movies to see these? Most of them are already pretty clear.

It's also a bad sign for finding IS tracks if the most interesting thing to come from the rescanning is the low angle tracks.
greuti

Post by greuti »

As I understand it, they have acquired these 600 high-resolution focus movies of all types of candidates in the Collector, which were identified by us. Created in better quality because there are a lot of those older movies that show too little of the "candidate" beneath surface for a final definition.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

The original focus movies are taken in higher resolution than what is downloaded into the VM, but not by an amount as significant as these new ultra-high resolution movies.

I doubt we'll be able to make these large movies available for download, because they are so very large and bandwidth is an issue for us.

Thanks,
Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH