Stardust@Home Presentation for Elementary-level Children

Teachers and Students, use this forum to discuss ideas for using Stardust@home in the classroom.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

cthiker

Stardust@Home Presentation for Elementary-level Children

Post by cthiker »

Now that we're "out of the gate" as it were :D , I thought I'd let the classroom-oriented group know that I have created a presentation geared to the US elementary grade level (grades 1-6), and I have sent a copy to Dr. Bryan Mendez at UCB for his review. He said that they had already developed presentations geared to middle and high school levels, but nothing targeted at the elementary grades, so I decided to put one together.

When I get feedback from him (and I'm not expecting that very soon!) I would be glad to release it to anyone who might be interested. I gave a presentation with it on Tuesday, 8/1 (yes, launch-day, which was totally unplanned!) and it went very well - the audience was a group of about 25-30 day camp kids.

Let me know via this post or though a personal message to me (cthiker) and, if the Berkeley group has no objection, I will forward it on to your email address. Please note that, in its current form, it is over 40MB zipped (beware those with limits on their email attachments from their ISP)!! It includes several NASA movies as well as lots of pictures/graphics - all from public domains - intended to keep the young ones' attention, and the last slide has a direct link to S@H.

I'll let everyone know about any feedback I get in the interim (although Bryan, et. al., please feel free to post such feedback right here!).

Thanks, and all the best to my fellow dusters!!
Jeff
feldmom

Post by feldmom »

I would love to have your ideas. I am a second grade teacher and have worked with the folks in Bryan's group. As a matter of fact, he was telling a group of teachers about your post today. That is what brought me to you. Please send it to feldmom@aol.com. Thanks!
feldmom
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

feldmom wrote:I am a second grade teacher and have worked with the folks in Bryan's group.
The file is on its way as I type this. Good luck, and let me know if there are any problems.

Regards,
Jeff
susanmeier

Can you email me?

Post by susanmeier »

Can you please email me the elementary grade information?
Thanks! meierzoo@comcast.net
cthiker

Re: Can you email me?

Post by cthiker »

susanmeier wrote:Can you please email me the elementary grade information?
Susan,
I'll send out the latest version either tonight or tomorrow (busy evenings ahead for me). Note that it's a rather large ZIP file (you can 'unzip' the file if you use WinXP or you can download the program WinZip - if you don't already have that). The size is due to several included movies and graphics, so if it's too large for your Internet Service Provider I can also send you stripped-out versions. Let me know either way when you receive it.

Thanks for your interest and I hope that it works for you!!

Regards,
Jeff
Spica

video for Stardust for grades 1-9

Post by Spica »

How can I get copy of this video? I can use it for my pre service teachers.
thanks
Vance High
West Virginia Univeristy
vancehigh@gmail.com