"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by DanZ »

voyager1682002 wrote:This power movie (75 points) has no horizontal red markers
power movie

Lily
It's been removed from the DB.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

enokh wrote:This power movie (80 points) another no red markers

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=373

enokh
It's been removed from the DB. Thanks for the pointing it out!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, 7721145V1 has no "Y" coordinate markers. I believe the feature is at the bottom edge, right of center. It was one of two I'd narrowed it down to, but obviously I chose the wrong one. I liked mine better. ;-)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Dan, 7721145V1 has no "Y" coordinate markers. I believe the feature is at the bottom edge, right of center. It was one of two I'd narrowed it down to, but obviously I chose the wrong one. I liked mine better. ;-)
Yeah, having the coordinate be the last possible number doesn't work, because it's listed as 375 for Y in this case. It's still a good track, so I'll just have this fixed, not removed.

Thanks!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

I don't know if this has already been reported, but 683798V1 appears to be another "inverted" PM. It might well be the mirror image of 2150424V1 which has been discussed previously. Anyway, now I get to start another string of 100 or more PMs to make amends. ;-)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:I don't know if this has already been reported, but 683798V1 appears to be another "inverted" PM. It might well be the mirror image of 2150424V1 which has been discussed previously. Anyway, now I get to start another string of 100 or more PMs to make amends. ;-)
According to my records, 683798V1 is NOT a PM. Are you sure you got the number right? If so, it should be a real movie and thus perhaps a real track. I also don't see it on the Alpha List. Perhaps you have a first find?!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Sorry, Dan, I mistyped the number apparently. The actual PM # is 6083798V1. Apologies.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Sorry, Dan, I mistyped the number apparently. The actual PM # is 6083798V1. Apologies.
The official coordinates of this one are x is 41 and y is 91, so the big black blob at the bottom. Seems to me (through trying to find the "deepest" part that comes into focus), it should be x 90 (or so) and y zero. Would you agree?

Dan
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

by McAngus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 am
McAngus wrote:There are indeed many movies totally wrong.
They assign the point only if you indicate the wrong coordinates, ie, the beginning of the track and not the end.
I'll give you my small and incomplete list:
1595231V1;
Moreover, there are many movies that have the reversed jpg.
Thus it happens that by first the track goes in focus, and then the surface.
And we know that this is impossible.

Thanks
McAngus

by DanZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm
DanZ wrote:
McAngus wrote:
jsmaje wrote:To add to McAngus’s list, 2267262V1 looks like a vertical fiducial track to me, but by clicking on the obviously deepest part near the top margin cost me severely. The team seem to think that the wider circular & surely shallower entry point lower down in the frame is instead the deepest part, and given that it’s rated a relatively easy 20 points resulted in a 65 point penalty!
My 5279368V1 (try 460,100 - 20 pts) is the twin sister of your 2267262V1. Nice!

In other cases, similar to this, if you start from the lower part of the blue bar, the coordinates appear to be right.
There are two possibilities:
1) correct coordinates and jpg reversed;
2) wrong coordinates and jpg mounted correctly.

Where is the truth?
Definitely one we want to eliminate. Please keep reporting! Thank you.

Dan
by McAngus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:20 am
McAngus wrote:
DanZ wrote:
McAngus wrote:1770913V1;
This type has been explained before - see post here on where to click.
McAngus wrote:7925739V1; and 9592338V1
See post here on where to click.
DanZ wrote:
McAngus wrote: My 5279368V1 (try 460,100 - 20 pts) is the twin sister of your 2267262V1. Nice!

In other cases, similar to this, if you start from the lower part of the blue bar, the coordinates appear to be right.
There are two possibilities:
1) correct coordinates and jpg reversed;
2) wrong coordinates and jpg mounted correctly.

Where is the truth?
Definitely one we want to eliminate. Please keep reporting! Thank you.

Dan
Thanks Dan,
I already know where I have to click.
I'm talking about a different problem.
With great humility I repeat: it happens that first goes in focus the end of the track (the place where we get the points) and then goes in focus the mouth of the track.
And we know that this is impossible.
by laserphil » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:06 am
laserphil wrote:Hi McAngus,
Here is the explanation I received about the particular focus movie. It has caused me considerable frustration. Nice to know that it is still around!
Postby laserphil » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 pm
Just had a look back at the last time I posted about this track and it is one that has come through from the back of the collector. This was Dan's answer on it from page 18 of this post

Okay, don't be paranoid. This is a "track," but it came up through the aerogel from the OTHER SIDE! (just please don't ask what it is, because right now, we're not sure) Anyway, that's why the terminal end (which is where the "where to click" got placed) is not actually the deepest focus. But of course that causes the confusion you've experienced, which is not really fair and it probably should have never been turned into a PM. Thus we're working on removing it as PM. But there are "cousins" (other PMs made from the original), so if you spot them, please report them here too. Thank you!
Laserphil
by DanZ » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm
DanZ wrote:
McAngus wrote:Thanks Laserphil,
you have answered my question: "Where is the truth?".
It is evident that, in the 17 months that I was away, I missed a lot of amenities. :shock:

McAngus
Sorry I missed the point, thanks for explaining better than me Laserphil!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Yes, Dan. That's where I'd clicked and got marked as having missed a 15-pointer - ouch! Well, thanks to John's moving window idea, that's now "behind" me, but it put a huge dent in my cumulative skill score which I still track.

BTW, I think Tom is having way too much fun with his power score - first 222220, now 223355 - nicely done, Tom!
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Another of those frightening, probably inverted PMs came up today, 5614831V1. However, when I held my breath and clicked on it in a "compromise" spot as I have in the past, the next movie came up, but neither my power score nor my skill score had changed. I checked my events log, and did not find it there either. Nor was it on the Alpha list. Perhaps it had been officially removed? - in which case this was just a ghost sighting? ;-)

OK, very weird - just a few movies later, five at most, its mirror image, 4504190V1, came up. I clicked in that same compromise, middle "hedge-my-bet" spot, but this time my skill score did increment 10 points. I would be most content not to see any of them again.
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

No. 3071607V1 is yet another version of that same distressing inverted PM. I got it correct by clicking in the "wrong" place (shallower, bulbous end), rather than the deeper part of the track at the upper edge.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:No. 3071607V1 is yet another version of that same distressing inverted PM. I got it correct by clicking in the "wrong" place (shallower, bulbous end), rather than the deeper part of the track at the upper edge.
Yeah, let's get rid of them!

Dan
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

I can't see anything, it looks like nothing there to click. 5221289V1
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

I think I missed that one too, Lily. It's tough to see, but it's there. Try about a 250% zoom. If you go much bigger, it blurs, and much smaller it's darn hard to spot.

Mike