info on "possibles" please

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Denise

info on "possibles" please

Post by Denise »

Having had nothing but "indeterminate" appearing for months, then a couple of "1st cut, unsure ... (however it's phrased) - and also having seen no reports of findings (or possibles) when glancing through the forum, I was quite surprised ti suddenly find a "possible interstellar particle" pop up on My Events.
I've seen nothing in the updates so far to suggest that any even "possibles" had been identified. I was, of course, very pleased to see that I had identified a possible - but have I been looking in the wrong places for similar reports? Assuming that this is not the first "possible" - is there any available record of such possible, or even confirmed, findings?
Don't get me wrong - a print of that movie is already on my wall, with a circle around the culprit and an arrow saying "Denise's Stardust"... But I'd love to know where we really are...
Thanks, Denise
anyone got the key?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

In some areas on the forum, others have posted their stats and included have been the results of some of the preliminaries. Without going back through as I have limited time right now, I will say that they have not extracted a dust particle yet and we have some that have passed through two checks and still remain canidates. We have not heard from them how long until we find anything definate. I'm sure Bryan will post in the updates what they have going on as soon as something noteworthy arises. You are looking at the right place, in Your Events. If you don't dust often, you probably don't have a lot of events therefore the chances of getting one with an update is lower. You could also be very picky about what you check, meaning that you may also have a lower number in your events.
On this one in your events, did you happen to notice if you were the first to click on it? It will appear in your events if you click on something and it is not a calibration movie, even if you are not the first. If you didn't notice at the time, you can't check now if there are more than one agreements. If there is only one, or if you did check and you were the first, I wish you the best and have fun waiting!
The best spots to look for updates are in the updates section and possibily in the problems and support section. Chances are, Bryan will be giving the updates, so you can always click on his name or profile, click on the "find all posts by bmendez" and the most recent will appear with the beginning of the post visable so you can see if any are updates. Sounds a bit confusing, but it really isn't. Perhaps someone else can help more, but that's my little bit of info.
Good luck!
From dust we come
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks, Nikita
No, I wasn't the first to click on that one - not that I mind. Referring to it as "Denise's stardust" is just a personal matter between me and the speck (it's only a poor, tiny thing, but I feel a certain warmth for it) - I don't mind sharing it! But I found the wording very encouraging and wondered about the general state of play. I shall have a browse around as you suggest when I have a few mins!
anyone got the key?
the moon

Post by the moon »

Of the 50 movies in my events, 8 of them say "passed cut 1, possible interstellar dust particle" and they've said that for months. I'd guess there's well over 100 movies that say the same thing, and all of mine that say that are inclusions, so they don't seem to have very high standards to pass cut 1. Beyond that it's all speculation. The team gives almost zero feedback on any findings so far. All they say is
we've been incredibly busy with Stardust@home: reviewing events, reviewing candidate movies, rescanning previous tiles, attending conferences presenting papers and talks, and many other fun distractions.

Good news: today we posted updates on more than 1200 candidates that we've reviewed by hand from among those that you have identified. We're still working hard on reviewing more, and we will post updates in smaller, more frequent increments than we've been doing so far.
What we really want to know is examples of reviewed tracks, and why or why not they consider it a possible track after review.