Forum is becoming usless!

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

BIGAL

Forum is becoming usless!

Post by BIGAL »

The forum is becoming too big and unorganized. Subjects, problems, answers, comments, suggestions are everywhere. I cant find anything useful, unless I spend all day at it, so I don't. Seems like we aren't getting much feedback from the "team" anymore unless I cant find it. Help!
leggat

Post by leggat »

Big Al, nah, it gives us the feeling that we aren't simply the world's biggest, cheapest, least efficient, yet surprisingly sensitive enough (arguable) computer used to ram-jam through 1.5 million plus image movies. The project leaders aren't going to change their research as a result of anything we say or inquire upon here.

They are going to see what spits out of this great beast they've conjured out of the ether, and then adjust what and how they feed said monster. [edited]

There Is No Such Thing As Grass-Roots Science.

People can say: "But, but, SETI!!" all they want, but, but used in that project had no ego, no ability to convince themselve they saw something other than what was present.
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Forum is becoming usless!

Post by DustBuster »

BIGAL wrote:The forum is becoming too big and unorganized. Subjects, problems, answers, comments, suggestions are everywhere. I cant find anything useful, unless I spend all day at it, so I don't. Seems like we aren't getting much feedback from the "team" anymore unless I cant find it. Help!
This issue is currently being addressed. Please try to be patient as this is only the first week the project has been running (the forum was quite well organized for three months before the onslaught of 8,000 people!).
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
icebike

Post by icebike »

DustBuster wrote: This issue is currently being addressed. Please try to be patient as this is only the first week the project has been running (the forum was quite well organized for three months before the onslaught of 8,000 people!).
Well, yes, anything unused or slightly used is easy to keep neat.

Restricting the posting of URLs to ONLY an "Interesting Movies" forum and strip all urls from other forums would keep the clutter down.
petterip

Post by petterip »

Locking the threads that have redundant topics with a notification message "This subject is already covered. Please read the stickies and FAQ, and use the search." might help a bit. :roll:

Mind you, there might be a lot of enthusiastic dusters that are new to forums and rush directly to send their questions / findings out to the public... perhaps it would even help adding a link to a generic "using forums and a basic forum etiquette" somewhere in the FAQ list.
While not stardusting, I'd rather be driving with my Alfa.
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

BIGAL wrote:The forum is becoming too big and unorganized. Subjects, problems, answers, comments, suggestions are everywhere. I cant find anything useful, unless I spend all day at it, so I don't. Seems like we aren't getting much feedback from the "team" anymore unless I cant find it. Help!
There is no team. That´s the problem. We´re all allone here.
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hopefully, the dusters will read the announcements when they enter the forum for the first time and see this:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... c.php?t=62

Also, they should go to the problems and support forum and see this:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=293

Under FAQ they would find this:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=682

And so on...

We are working on the problems of the forum - Bryan is archiving many of the old threads as we speak. Although the team has asked at several places to be careful about what we post and where, sometimes a thread is missed and a new one begins.

The Team is listening and responding as best they can!
From dust we come