(dirt?) particles inside the airogel?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

slindemann

(dirt?) particles inside the airogel?

Post by slindemann »

Hi,

I was marking the movie 44365 (possible incorrectly).
But at least 5 places seems to have small particles inside the gel without the trail like "normally" stardust.
Is it possible that these particles is traped inside the gel when its made?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=44365

I will keep looking.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

These are a big topic of discussion right now. They could be particles, air, etc. trapped inside the gel during the manufacturing process called 'inclusions'.
Use the search function and 'inclusions' for more information.
I believe there will be more information forthcoming on this subject.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

Oh, cool, this is the only thing I have been finding except for the ones in the calibration movies.

edit: man, I have found 2 since I posted this (about six minutes). I am wondering if I should keep flagging them since it seems really doubtful that they're anything from space since there's no apparent trail.
SarahMBruce

embedded something

Post by SarahMBruce »

just to add my two cents: I am marking these "particles" or whatever that are below the gel surface, and I hope anybody out there watching (:roll: ) realizes that I realize that they're not tracks!

...hoping my opinion isn't discounted if I find a real track. (I've only missed one calibration movie, so I should think I'm okay)

The "nontrack" ones I've marked:
Movie 43246
Movie 44985
Movie 44330
Movie 44355

Some people have agreed; what do you all think?
Martino

Post by Martino »

Is there a possibility some of the black or high-relief specks are particles from Comet Wilde that bounced off a surface of the spacecraft and settled in during that encounter? If so, they might be worth marking.
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

The thing I find interesting about the trackless specs is that they usually appear in pairs or even more... I've seen three and four right along with them. For instance, this one... one, two, three.
slindemann

dirt particles

Post by slindemann »

As a non native English speaking person I did not know the word 'inclusions' - I was looking for dirt particles and such.
But now I know :)