Bad focus: any official statements?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

amoroso

Post by amoroso »

I would like the Stardust@Home team to officially comment on the high proportion of out of focus movies. Is this a real and known issue?

Paolo
xenographia

Post by xenographia »

good suggestion! and grade to know i'm not the only one. i've really begun to doubt my eye-sight :roll:
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Look here: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=124 for an official report on what is encountered during scanning and creation of the movies. movie creation and uploading is done per tile. You will notice that even on tiles which are aproved there are quite a lot out of focus movies. Given the automated per tile proces they are still uploaded for review.
Just mark them as bad focus and when they will be rescanned lateron in the process.
Just dusting... Image
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Bad focus: any official statements?

Post by fjgiie »

amoroso wrote:I would like the Stardust@Home team to officially comment on the high proportion of out of focus movies. Is this a real and known issue?

Paolo
Hi Paolo,
I have looked at a few movies. You are correct that there are some movies where the view never goes below the surface. I am not seeing that many myself. Just because it looks out of focus does not mean it cannot be scored. The surface of the tiles are very clean and in some views just below the surface, viewing becomes very difficult.

First decide if you are above or below the surface. If below the surface the movie often can be scored. Look for two or more small dots, folds or other surface feature that are slightly out of focus.

I do not know what the percentage is of out of focus movies. However I am hitting the bad focus tag only one time every 30 to 50 movies I would guess.

Hope this helps you more than hurts. :)
Thanks,
fjgiie
ToSeek

Post by ToSeek »

I'm hitting the "bad focus" button at least 10% of the time, but I'm very picky. Any of these situations qualify:

- The surface is never in focus.
- The surface is in focus but only half-a-dozen bars (or fewer) from the bottom.
- The target is tilted, and some part of it is only in focus only half-a-dozen bars (or fewer) from the bottom.
- There are no spots or other defects to tell whether the surface is in focus or not.
If you're going to be just like everyone else, what's the point in existing?
MarshallWiseman

Post by MarshallWiseman »

I agree with ToSeek. Using the samples to judge from it takes from 4 to 10 bars to see a target clearly, so I will hit bad focus if just a small part of the image is 8 or so bars from the bottom.

Almost 15% of the images that are clear would be about right for me.
lucia

Post by lucia »

Hello,

"Bad focus" is really counfusing, it's hard for me to decide whether they are "no track" or "bad focus". I spend a lot of time on those movies. Even some of the calibration movies, they are dim, but you could find a obvious track then.

The tutorial section just show us the moive with tilted surface, but the real movie has more problem.

Cheers
Ziggy

BAD FOCUS does need to be addressed

Post by Ziggy »

I agree with you...

BAD FOCUS movies do need to be addressed, not because there are too many movies that are in this state, but because I fear that too many people will select NO TRACK rather than BAD FOCUS when assessing them. (This could mean that movies which may contain one of the elusive 40 predicted tracks are overlooked!)

I have suggested that further calibration movies be introduced to tackle this 'training' issue (http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=529) but fear that it may already be too late....
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

We now have an FAQ for this topic: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=645

Please use that for further discussion.

Thank you,
-Bryan

Locked and Archived
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH